Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm confusion

In a message dated 1/11/2004 2:27:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Now, our temperatures have dropped below
freezing (and I understand that they are supposed to stay low) and I'm
concerned that such a fast drop in temp (especially when the tree was
obviously not dormant) will harm the tree. I'm also concerned about the
roots freezing. Should I just leave the tree where it is, or should I bring
it in to a heated area?
Lisa:

Based on the information provided, I would suggest that you either (1) place
the Elm in a wooden box filled with mulch and bury the pot or (2) move the Elm
to a cold garage where the temperature do not delve below 34-degrees
Fahrenheit.

All Elms are not created equal, and even identical species grown in different
zones have been known to acclimate to regional climates. I will say that if
this Elm was acquired from a hot house environment, I would not winter it in
the outdoors.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html