Old 12-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Tin Ear

Default [IBC] Deadly Cold

"Michael Persiano" wrote in message
In a message dated 1/10/2004 2:33:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Wow, this group is psychic! I am a newbie and have moved my Juniper into

the
garage for a while. Temps here in Pittsburgh, at least my area, have been
almost 0 F at night and single digits for a daytime high. I was wondering
if, when it warms up above 20F or so, if I can just move the tree back out
or do I need to do this slowly. BTW, the tree does get sunlight in the
garage, but not the direct sun I understand my tree likes.
TinEar:

Listen up: do not place this tree outside in an unprotected environment

at
20-degrees Fahrenheit. Junipers require protection, and in this instance

you
are allowing an unprotected root pad to freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc.,

by
moving it from the garage to the outside. Excessive freeze-thaw cycles

will
kill your tree.

Keep it in the garage for the winter. Move it out for the growing season.
While it is in the garage, be certain that you do not overwater the tree

and
introduce root rot. Insert a chopstick and remove it periodically to

determine
the water content in the soil. When the below-soil-level portion of the
chopstick is on the dry side (not completely dry), thoroughly rewater the

tree.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Thanks for the help. Your words came across a little harsh, but I'm not
offended. I've only been putting the tree back outside when the temp gets
well above 35F for an extended period. Just before this current freeze snap,
we had an unseasonable warm stretch. I brought the tree back into the garage
when it was near freezing outside and it's been there since then. I'd not
thought of using a chopstick as a gauge of how dry / wet the soil is, but
I'll give it a try. I waited until it was really warm and the soil seemed
very dry before I watered. My care package says to avoid water logging the
roots, so I've been careful about that.

Again, thanks for the help.