Old 12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Sacha

Default In praise of Jersey Kale

David Rance12/1/04 2:54

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up.

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

Sorry, I thought it had been given upthread: Brassica Oleracea Longata
There is a story that they originated in La Vendee in France. Having cut
down the cabbage, you dry the stem for a year until it hardens and then
varnish it. I think Chilterns have the seeds.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)