Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default One window, 7 plants, lots of questions

Chris,

Just a few points.

Your goal with Phals is moist but not sopping; they should not dry out
completely. As for Dends and Oncidiums, your potting medium and humidity
affect your watering schedule. Here, where I grow outside, my Dends are all
in rock, which may not be appropriate for indoor growing, though Aliflor
might be. I keep Oncidiums in either spaghnum moss or a CHC mix, both of
which hold moisture for quite a while.

In any event, you're really not looking to let the plants get "bone dry"
(there are exceptions to that - some plants need a winter 'dry rest' - but
let's leave that alone here). You are, however, on the right track in that
too much water is generally worse than too little.

Fertilize "weekly, weakly". IOW, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. per gallon of water. Too
much micromanagement will drive you insane!

Dends generally take more light than Oncidiums, though they both like high
light. Your Phal with the red under the leaves may be a reddish flower;
the leaves of some colors tend to reflect that, but not always. I don't
know just how much sun is coming through that window, but my guess is that
the Phal would like to be a bit farther away.

As to your damaged leaves, they will ultimately give up on their own. If
you want to neaten them up, you can cut them off using a fresh razor blade,
changing the blade between plants. To be extra safe, dust the cut with
regular cinnamon.

For the spider webs, why take a chance? For natural remedies that you can
use in the house, visit

www.firstrays.com for lots of good information.

Hope this is helpful.

Diana