Old 11-01-2004, 05:42 PM
The Enigma

Default One window, 7 plants, lots of questions

I got quite a lot of orchids (for me at least) at Christmas,
now I have 7:
3 den.
2 phal
2 onc.

I have 2 southern windows that get good light and but right now I'm only
hosting orchids at one. At this one I have 2 columns of orchids running
perpendicular to the window. So it looks like this:
[WINDOW]
Onc. Onc.
Den. Den.
Phal. Den.
. Phal.

I have taken a Rubbermaid container that holds wrapping paper and added
1.5 - 2 inches of pea gravel then placed the plants inside that.

Is my arrangement of orchid with respect to sunlight appropriate?

Also let me check to see if I got the facts straight:
Den. let completely dry out before watering.
Onc. let completely dry out before watering.
Phal. let dry out some but not really completely before watering
Fertilize when new growth of the roots occurs and not at all during
blooming.

Right now the Onc. and the Den. are getting some "direct" sunlight through
the window (is it considered direct if it is through a window?) and the
Phals are the furthest away, about three feet from the window. Is it ok for
my plant to get "direct" sunlight or should I put the blinds down and open
them partially?

Should I remove damaged leaves (one or two have been slashed in a couple
places, got it from Lowe's, but still green) or yellow leaves (went on 8 or
9 day vacation and some of the leaves turned yellow).

Also after my 9 day vacation I noticed one of the Phal. leaves started to
get a maroonish color it doesn't look like it's dying and the top of the
leaf it mostly green, why?

I noticed some small webs on one of my Den. are these spidermites? Should I
take swift and direct action to try to liberate my orchid from these? If so
how?

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Ok lets start.
The settup looks ok. But be carefull with direct light even through windows.
I can keep guit a lot in a south facing windowsill but we have reflecting
glass and that keeps 30% of the light outside.
For as far as I know dendrobiums can take more light than onc.
So try perhaps
South
east (window) west
den den
den onc
onc phal
phal

north
For the other comments read between your post

"The Enigma" schreef in bericht
.com...
[...]

My experience with water is this. Dendrobiums don't have to go completely
dry. Onc yes but not for too long. Phal I'm no good with.

Right now the Onc. and the Den. are getting some "direct" sunlight through
the window (is it considered direct if it is through a window?) and the
Phals are the furthest away, about three feet from the window. Is it ok

for
my plant to get "direct" sunlight or should I put the blinds down and open
them partially?

Yes through a window it is direct. Phal should need the least for as far as
I know.

Should I remove damaged leaves (one or two have been slashed in a couple
places, got it from Lowe's, but still green) or yellow leaves (went on 8

or
9 day vacation and some of the leaves turned yellow).

Personally i don't cut off anything untill it is completely dried up. The
plant might be using the energie in the damaged parts.

Also after my 9 day vacation I noticed one of the Phal. leaves started to
get a maroonish color it doesn't look like it's dying and the top of the
leaf it mostly green, why?

that color could meen too much light. hard to tell untill I can see it.

I noticed some small webs on one of my Den. are these spidermites? Should

take swift and direct action to try to liberate my orchid from these? If

so
how?

Maybe but hard to tell. Spidermites are very small. try taking a paper
tissue and wipe it over a few leaves, top and buttom at the same time. If
you have a red brounnisch coloring then probably those are spidermites. But
a chemical treadment would perhaps be a good idea. ry and ask for a product
in your local gardencenter. I've been told that garlick can be used to tread
this probleme too. heared that from a grower in my local orchid sociaty

Thanks
Chris

Hope this helps you a bit
Cheers

Peter

Starting with a two weeks exam periode tomorrow.

www.pnporchids.be

Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Chris,

Just a few points.

Your goal with Phals is moist but not sopping; they should not dry out
completely. As for Dends and Oncidiums, your potting medium and humidity
affect your watering schedule. Here, where I grow outside, my Dends are all
in rock, which may not be appropriate for indoor growing, though Aliflor
might be. I keep Oncidiums in either spaghnum moss or a CHC mix, both of
which hold moisture for quite a while.

In any event, you're really not looking to let the plants get "bone dry"
(there are exceptions to that - some plants need a winter 'dry rest' - but
let's leave that alone here). You are, however, on the right track in that
too much water is generally worse than too little.

Fertilize "weekly, weakly". IOW, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. per gallon of water. Too
much micromanagement will drive you insane!

Dends generally take more light than Oncidiums, though they both like high
light. Your Phal with the red under the leaves may be a reddish flower;
the leaves of some colors tend to reflect that, but not always. I don't
know just how much sun is coming through that window, but my guess is that
the Phal would like to be a bit farther away.

As to your damaged leaves, they will ultimately give up on their own. If
you want to neaten them up, you can cut them off using a fresh razor blade,
changing the blade between plants. To be extra safe, dust the cut with
regular cinnamon.

For the spider webs, why take a chance? For natural remedies that you can
use in the house, visit

www.firstrays.com for lots of good information.

Hope this is helpful.

Diana

Old 12-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Wendy

Hi Chris, While I can't help with windowsill growing culture, you have had
good advice already.
Looking at your text layout of plants, I'd say you need another dendrobium!
To match.*g*
Now the only thing where you could have a problem is the community
container.
If one plant has bugs, they will spread much quicker so wash it & the pea
gravel with
bleach & water.
Spray or dip the plants in whatever insecticide you use & follow
instructions carefully.
Welcome to the joys of orchid growing & to this group.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

.com...