Old 12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default 2' Live Pine Tree, Potted

"Harper Willson" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I wonder if anybody knows how to care for a little pine tree I

bought
at the supermarket at Christmastime. He's done his duty as a

Christmas
Tree and now I want to do right by him. I've put him in a 2' x

2'
redwood barrell. I plan to plant him somewhere in the spring,

but
meanwhile, what does he need? The instructions told me to "keep

soil
damp, NOT SOAKED;" well, I did that and he got awfully dry. He

even
developed a few brown needles close to the trunk. I've been

watering
him a lot more since I noticed that, but I'm aware overwatering

is
just as perilous as under-watering. Do you know of a happy

medium for
pine trees between parched and drowned? A watering schedule,

perhaps?

I live in Northern California where pine trees flourish. When

springs
comes, is there any reason I shouldn't plant him where other

pines are
growing wild -- in a regional park, say?

No schedule.

Here's an old bonsai trick. Take a chopstick and insert it deep
into the soil about half way between the trunk and the pot rim.
Remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If it feels damp
do NOT water. If it feels dry, Water.

You don't say how large the tree is, how large its rootball is,
or whether you just buried an existing rootball in the barrel and
added potting soil (if the latter, be sure the chopstick
penetrates the old rootball! The soil in the rootball probably
will be compacted and water will have a tougher time getting in
there and will naturally flow to the "filler" soil around the
ball. It is important that the water get to the roots!).

If you used "plain" potting soil, it will be easy to keep the
soil too wet.

As far as planting goes . . . is it native to your area? If it's
not native (Italian stone pine, etc.) it may not do well where
your natives grow. You don't want it in your yard? Only plant
in park if the park rangers say it's OK; they may be concerned
that your tree harbors critters they don't want in their park.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature