Old 12-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Harper Willson

Default 2' Live Pine Tree, Potted

Hi,

I wonder if anybody knows how to care for a little pine tree I bought
at the supermarket at Christmastime. He's done his duty as a Christmas
Tree and now I want to do right by him. I've put him in a 2' x 2'
redwood barrell. I plan to plant him somewhere in the spring, but
meanwhile, what does he need? The instructions told me to "keep soil
damp, NOT SOAKED;" well, I did that and he got awfully dry. He even
developed a few brown needles close to the trunk. I've been watering
him a lot more since I noticed that, but I'm aware overwatering is
just as perilous as under-watering. Do you know of a happy medium for
pine trees between parched and drowned? A watering schedule, perhaps?

I live in Northern California where pine trees flourish. When springs
comes, is there any reason I shouldn't plant him where other pines are
growing wild -- in a regional park, say?

Thanks,

Harper
Old 12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

"Harper Willson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

No schedule.

Here's an old bonsai trick. Take a chopstick and insert it deep
into the soil about half way between the trunk and the pot rim.
Remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If it feels damp
do NOT water. If it feels dry, Water.

You don't say how large the tree is, how large its rootball is,
or whether you just buried an existing rootball in the barrel and
added potting soil (if the latter, be sure the chopstick
penetrates the old rootball! The soil in the rootball probably
will be compacted and water will have a tougher time getting in
there and will naturally flow to the "filler" soil around the
ball. It is important that the water get to the roots!).

If you used "plain" potting soil, it will be easy to keep the
soil too wet.

As far as planting goes . . . is it native to your area? If it's
not native (Italian stone pine, etc.) it may not do well where
your natives grow. You don't want it in your yard? Only plant
in park if the park rangers say it's OK; they may be concerned
that your tree harbors critters they don't want in their park.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 13-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Harper

Jim Lewis wrote:

No schedule.

Here's an old bonsai trick. Take a chopstick and insert it deep
into the soil about half way between the trunk and the pot rim.
Remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If it feels damp
do NOT water. If it feels dry, Water.

Oh, *thank* you. That should work very well.

You don't say how large the tree is, how large its rootball is,

He's 2' tall, and 11/2' tall, and maybe 11/2' around. Right now he's
just a chubby little bush. The rootball was about 1' long, like a loaf
of bread.

or whether you just buried an existing rootball in the barrel and

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

added potting soil (if the latter, be sure the chopstick
penetrates the old rootball! The soil in the rootball probably
will be compacted and water will have a tougher time getting in
there and will naturally flow to the "filler" soil around the
ball. It is important that the water get to the roots!).

Ah, a very good thing to know. I will be careful to make sure the root
ball gets plenty wet.

If you used "plain" potting soil, it will be easy to keep the
soil too wet.

It has a few rocks, white flecks, etc. The nursery sales associate said
it would be the best for my purposes.

As far as planting goes . . . is it native to your area? If it's
not native (Italian stone pine, etc.) it may not do well where
your natives grow. You don't want it in your yard? Only plant
in park if the park rangers say it's OK; they may be concerned
that your tree harbors critters they don't want in their park.

It's species of pine was not mentioned on the little tag that came with
him, so I'll have to take him into a nursery and find out. You have been
enormously helpful, Jim. Thanks so very much!!

Harper

[IMG] code is On

Potted pine Mike Gardening 3 18-09-2006 09:59 PM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
pine tree for pine nuts jay jay United Kingdom 3 04-10-2004 07:37 AM
[IBC] Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-01-2004 09:28 PM
Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Dish Gardening 4 03-01-2004 08:42 PM