Old 13-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Judged exhibit lunacy (was: '03 award programs)

What you seem so attached to is certainly one way to organize a
competition
between artists. However, why can't we ALSO have the

opportunity to simply
compare the artistry, beauty, message, image of great art and

officially
recognize a few of the highest examples in the form of a judged

exhibit?
Here again, we're talking about the ADDITION of an activity,

not replacement
of one method for another.

Do you recommend that we carry this scheme over to paintings,
sculpture, the ballet, a symphony? Just go to look, touch, or
listen with no attribution or frame of reference? Rembrandt,
Ravel or Rodin won't care, but there are a lot of living artists
who might. And, if _I_ designed trees for someone else and that
someone entered a tree I created into an exhibit/competition, I
think I'd appreciate a little note beside the tree that said
'twas my work -- just like the collector of one of my whatevers
(HA!) would do if she showed it in a whatever exhibition.

Collectors collect nice things because of ego (they want to be
seen by people to whom they show the collection as a person who
has good taste); and few Collectors would allow a tree to be
displayed that didn't say: "from the collection of I.M. Rich."
And, artists also display their wares because of ego (hoping
people will notice how talented they are -- and in the hope that
someone will buy something).

If collector Jo Blo wants to submit a tree to one of these
competitions, she should and the competition should allow her to,
with the caveat that John Smith did the work.

But, in the end, maybe, someday, someone, somewhere will
recognize the fact that IT DOESN'T MATTER! Not a hoot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++