Old 13-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Cannas

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Robert writes
We are planning on growing some dwarf Cannas in containers this year
and would be grateful for advice.

Having done some research on the web there appears to be some
conflicting advice around (for a change). Hart Canna suggest
planting individual rhizomes of the same variety 6" apart in groups of
3 or more whereas http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/canna/ suggests 12" -
18" apart. Perhaps the latter is for the large specimens?

Close planting will get you lots of stems in a small area, but is
probably very misleading. After a seasons growth most of mine have grown
rhizomes that are just about contained in a 2' cube of soil.

The varieties under consideration are Louis Cottin, Aranyalon, Golden
Girl and Sudfunk.

Ones with fancy foliage variagates/bronze seem less vigorous, as do some
of the yellow flowered ones in my experience.

As far as we can determine we should buy the rhizomes now and place
them in compost (Hart indicate peat/coir compost) and keep them just
moist in a frost free environment before transplanting them into fairly
deep exterior planters containing a rich compost (JI No.3?) when frost
is unlikely.

I'd grow them on initially in smaller pots plant them individually in
18" pots for the summer and feed well. Mine go directly into the ground.

If planted in smaller plastic pots expect them to go very strange
shapes.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Any pointers to planting them in ponds (compost and depth below water) I
have seen it done but didn't pay enough attention to the details!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk