Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Robert

Default Cannas

We are planning on growing some dwarf Cannas in containers this year and
would be grateful for advice.

Having done some research on the web there appears to be some
conflicting advice around (for a change). Hart Canna suggest planting
individual rhizomes of the same variety 6" apart in groups of 3 or more
whereas http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/canna/ suggests 12" - 18" apart.
Perhaps the latter is for the large specimens?
The varieties under consideration are Louis Cottin, Aranyalon, Golden
Girl and Sudfunk.

As far as we can determine we should buy the rhizomes now and place them
in compost (Hart indicate peat/coir compost) and keep them just moist in
a frost free environment before transplanting them into fairly deep
exterior planters containing a rich compost (JI No.3?) when frost is
unlikely.
--
Robert
Old 13-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Robert

In message , JennyC
writes

"Robert" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm not familiar with the species you mention Robert, but any container will
soon be too small !
They expand enormously, growing extra rhizomes.
6" seems a bit close to me unless they are the dwarf types.
Jenny

They are listed as 'small' which I understand to be around 2' tall and
are apparently suitable for planting in containers. We had thought of
using 18"/20" terracotta pots.

Do they send up more than one shoot per rhizome as a norm?
Hart say that a single rhizome will produce typically 4 to 8 rhizomes in
a year - is this realistic?
--
Robert
Old 13-01-2004, 09:05 PM
JennyC

JennyC writes
"Robert"
We are planning on growing some dwarf Cannas in containers this year and
would be grateful for advice.

I'm not familiar with the species you mention Robert, but any container will
soon be too small !
They expand enormously, growing extra rhizomes.
6" seems a bit close to me unless they are the dwarf types.
Jenny

They are listed as 'small' which I understand to be around 2' tall and
are apparently suitable for planting in containers. We had thought of
using 18"/20" terracotta pots.

Sounds OK. Mine are all in pots. Though I use plastic as it's lighter for on the
roof garden. Terracotta will however keep them from blowing over as its a
heavier base.

Do they send up more than one shoot per rhizome as a norm?
Hart say that a single rhizome will produce typically 4 to 8 rhizomes in
a year - is this realistic?
-- Robert

My experience is that they are VERY prolific. The rhizomes form new ones fanning
out from the original one. I've had them split hefty plastic flower pots of 60
cm diameter!

Jenny

Old 13-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Robert writes
We are planning on growing some dwarf Cannas in containers this year
and would be grateful for advice.

Having done some research on the web there appears to be some
conflicting advice around (for a change). Hart Canna suggest
planting individual rhizomes of the same variety 6" apart in groups of
3 or more whereas http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/canna/ suggests 12" -
18" apart. Perhaps the latter is for the large specimens?

Close planting will get you lots of stems in a small area, but is
probably very misleading. After a seasons growth most of mine have grown
rhizomes that are just about contained in a 2' cube of soil.

The varieties under consideration are Louis Cottin, Aranyalon, Golden
Girl and Sudfunk.

Ones with fancy foliage variagates/bronze seem less vigorous, as do some
of the yellow flowered ones in my experience.

As far as we can determine we should buy the rhizomes now and place
them in compost (Hart indicate peat/coir compost) and keep them just
moist in a frost free environment before transplanting them into fairly
deep exterior planters containing a rich compost (JI No.3?) when frost
is unlikely.

I'd grow them on initially in smaller pots plant them individually in
18" pots for the summer and feed well. Mine go directly into the ground.

If planted in smaller plastic pots expect them to go very strange
shapes.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Any pointers to planting them in ponds (compost and depth below water) I
have seen it done but didn't pay enough attention to the details!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Charlie wrote in message .

Any pointers to planting them in ponds (compost and depth below water) I
have seen it done but didn't pay enough attention to the details!!

Well I remember seeing them growing right across a pond in Thailand, like a
whole field of pink cannas rising out of muddy water, on closer inspection
they grew as bog plants not deep water aquatics. The ponds dried out at
certain times of the year I was told by locals.
So you can plant in UK ponds during the warmer months with water just below
the surface of the compost, it worked for me, if it's growing away well then
being below the water should work too but they must be well in growth and
the water should be warm(ish). Must also be brought indoors for the winter
(to dry out like that Thai pond).
Getting a large pot of canna and compost that is waterlogged out of a pond
is heavy work which is why I only did the experiment for one year. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.

Old 14-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Robert

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

Any pointers to planting them in ponds (compost and depth below water) I
have seen it done but didn't pay enough attention to the details!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

While I was trawling for information I found this site which may be of
use
http://www.geocities.com/koifla/Garden_Ponds.htm
--
Robert

Old 15-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie wrote in message .

[...]

Thanks Bob and Robert, I will bear the weight in mind although it can not be
worse than the several square yards of sedge I have just removed. I am not
sure if it will look right (certainly not Thailand here!) but I can always
lift them out if it doesn't