Old 14-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Fig tree dying - help!

"yso" wrote in
:

Hi all

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We
bought it last summer from B&Q. It came in a plastic pot. We moved it
to larger terracota pot, and gave with some fish blood fertilizer. It
was left in the lounge where light was not much but still bright due
to large bay windows, and temprature was always 25 C. It looked ok,
but tongiht I saw it was dropping a lot of leaves, and it looked a bit
bare - just bare branches. On one side there were some new leaves, but
on the top these new leaves were all dry. It looks not very well. What
is this? We have not had fig tree before, and have no knowledge
whether this tree is unhappy with something or just matter of course
at this time of year, or it is lacking of something..no idea at all.

Can anyone help what do we need to do to help this poor looking fig
tree?

Do you mean a real fig tree, or a 'weeping fig'? Fig trees have very large,
matt textured leaves. They are hardy trees that shed their leaves in the
winter, and if yours is one, it would probably be happier outside.

'Weeping figs' have smaller pointed shiny leaves, and sometimes come with
variegated leaves. They are usually sold as houseplants. They do seem to
be sensitive to dry atmospheres, won't like to stand next to a radiator,
and may need more light than your lounge gets in the winter - perhaps move
it right next to a window till the days start getting longer?

Victoria