Old 13-01-2004, 11:05 PM
yso

Default Fig tree dying - help!

Hi all

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We bought
it last summer from B&Q. It came in a plastic pot. We moved it to larger
terracota pot, and gave with some fish blood fertilizer. It was left in the
lounge where light was not much but still bright due to large bay windows,
and temprature was always 25 C. It looked ok, but tongiht I saw it was
dropping a lot of leaves, and it looked a bit bare - just bare branches. On
one side there were some new leaves, but on the top these new leaves were
all dry. It looks not very well. What is this? We have not had fig tree
before, and have no knowledge whether this tree is unhappy with something or
just matter of course at this time of year, or it is lacking of
something..no idea at all.

Can anyone help what do we need to do to help this poor looking fig tree?

Thank you for your feedback.

Dan

Old 14-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "yso" contains these words:

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We bought
it last summer from B&Q. It came in a plastic pot. We moved it to larger
terracota pot, and gave with some fish blood fertilizer. It was left in the
lounge where light was not much but still bright due to large bay windows,
and temprature was always 25 C. It looked ok, but tongiht I saw it was
dropping a lot of leaves, and it looked a bit bare - just bare branches. On
one side there were some new leaves, but on the top these new leaves were
all dry. It looks not very well. What is this? We have not had fig tree
before, and have no knowledge whether this tree is unhappy with something or
just matter of course at this time of year, or it is lacking of
something..no idea at all.

Probably too dry an atmosphere.

Put pot outside in a sunny position and all should be well.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Victoria Clare

"yso" wrote in
:

[...]

Do you mean a real fig tree, or a 'weeping fig'? Fig trees have very large,
matt textured leaves. They are hardy trees that shed their leaves in the
winter, and if yours is one, it would probably be happier outside.

'Weeping figs' have smaller pointed shiny leaves, and sometimes come with
variegated leaves. They are usually sold as houseplants. They do seem to
be sensitive to dry atmospheres, won't like to stand next to a radiator,
and may need more light than your lounge gets in the winter - perhaps move
it right next to a window till the days start getting longer?

Victoria
Old 14-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:48:54 -0000, "yso"
wrote:

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We bought
it last summer from B&Q.

Can we assume you nean fig as in the one that bears fruits of the same
name or did you mean a ficus, perhaps ficus benjamina sometimes
referred to as "weeping fig"?
If the former it should be outside, but the ficus needs to be indoors
and are notorious for dropping leaves in a dry atmosphere.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We bought
it last summer from B&Q.

Can we assume you nean fig as in the one that bears fruits of the same
name or did you mean a ficus, perhaps ficus benjamina sometimes
referred to as "weeping fig"?

Even the 'fig that bears fruit of the same name' is a Ficus ;-)

If the former it should be outside, but the ficus needs to be indoors
and are notorious for dropping leaves in a dry atmosphere.

Very true.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 15-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

We have had this fig tree about (5ft tall) for about 6 months now. We bought
it last summer from B&Q. It came in a plastic pot. We moved it to larger
terracota pot, and gave with some fish blood fertilizer. It was left in the
lounge where light was not much but still bright due to large bay windows,
and temprature was always 25 C. It looked ok, but tongiht I saw it was
dropping a lot of leaves, and it looked a bit bare - just bare branches. On
one side there were some new leaves, but on the top these new leaves were
all dry. It looks not very well. What is this? We have not had fig tree
before, and have no knowledge whether this tree is unhappy with something or
just matter of course at this time of year, or it is lacking of
something..no idea at all.

The genus Ficus includes an amazing number of related plants. F.
elastica is the 'rubber tree'; F. benjamina is the 'weeping fig' --
both are popular as houseplants. And it seems as if *all* of the
Ficus(es?) drop their leaves at the slightest excuse. F. benjamina is
famous for leaf drop whenever it's moved into a different lighting
situation. The leaves grow back. I was surprised to see a 20'
(outdoor) edible fig tree across the street drop *all* it's large,
leathery leaves after cold weather (-5C?) set in. It's been there for
decades and presumably will have new leaves next year.

Identify what sort of fig tree you have, and check out care
instructions. There's plenty of info on the web.

Old 15-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes

The genus Ficus includes an amazing number of related plants. F.
elastica is the 'rubber tree'; F. benjamina is the 'weeping fig' --
both are popular as houseplants. And it seems as if *all* of the
Ficus(es?) drop their leaves at the slightest excuse. F. benjamina is
famous for leaf drop whenever it's moved into a different lighting
situation. The leaves grow back. I was surprised to see a 20'
(outdoor) edible fig tree across the street drop *all* it's large,
leathery leaves after cold weather (-5C?) set in. It's been there for
decades and presumably will have new leaves next year.

Are you posting from the US? In the UK, edible figs drop their leaves
every winter.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

The genus Ficus includes an amazing number of related plants. F.
elastica is the 'rubber tree'; F. benjamina is the 'weeping fig' --
both are popular as houseplants. And it seems as if *all* of the
Ficus(es?) drop their leaves at the slightest excuse. F. benjamina is
famous for leaf drop whenever it's moved into a different lighting
situation. The leaves grow back. I was surprised to see a 20'
(outdoor) edible fig tree across the street drop *all* it's large,
leathery leaves after cold weather (-5C?) set in. It's been there for
decades and presumably will have new leaves next year.

I found a six foot specimen of F. elastica on the Estate's bonfire heap,
so I snarfed it and repotted it.

It didn't look very happy, but it has perked up a lot since then.
Surprisingly, the only leaves it lost were one or two which were broken
off when it was tossed on the heap.

Help! It's only an inch from the ceiling!

Old 16-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:32:26 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Frogleg
writes

I was surprised to see a 20'
(outdoor) edible fig tree across the street drop *all* it's large,
leathery leaves after cold weather (-5C?) set in. It's been there for
decades and presumably will have new leaves next year.

Are you posting from the US? In the UK, edible figs drop their leaves
every winter.

Yes, I'm in the US. And my "surprise" was because I'd last seen the
tree (in a back garden) when I helped harvest baskets and baskets of
figs from a big leafy tree. It looked so naked with long, bare
branches. I wasn't aware that it was deciduous. Live and learn. Fig
jam for breakfast!

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
Fig tree - help kamal Edible Gardening 3 03-04-2006 03:50 AM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Fig Tree - C'mon, people - help! dunkan United Kingdom 19 13-05-2003 09:56 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM