Old 14-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Judged exhibit lunacy (was: '03 award programs)

--- Craig Cowing wrote:
As long as it isn't a judged contest I have no

problem with this sort of exhibit.
As I mentioned yesterday, the Yama Ki Bonsai Society
has an exhibition every fall
at the NY Botanic Gardens, and no names are used,
but it isn't a judged exhibition,
just an exhibition. So, these kinds of exhibits are
already going on.

Craig Cowing
NY

I went to a fantastic show over the past weekend. It
was Bay Island Bonsai from Alemeda, California. It
was a judged show with guest members invited to show.
There were no names, no identification of trees at the
exhibits. One looked at these fantastic trees without
distraction. There were the small understated
trophies included in the winning displays. It was
never stated whether the trees were merely
owned/collected or significantly workd by the
owner/artist. The open, uninterupted displays were
only numbered. One had to look in the program for
tree identification, even then ownership was not
mentioned.

As I see it there are several reasons for not
identifying who owns the tree, 1) this changes the
emphasis of the art from the tree to the possesor 2)
we have had thefts in California when it is known
where ther are good collections. Thses thefts are
comitted when the owner is away usually at a club
show.

Said in a sweet voice,
Did you hear it that way?

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++