Old 15-01-2004, 09:07 AM
jane

Default A trip to Woolies

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:33:54 -0000, "Philip"
wrote:

~On sunday 2/3rds of the family went out to Woolworths, the main reason for
~the outing was to get a Freeview box. Then we discovered that the Sale was
~still on, so I mananged to pick up a Heated Propagator at half price, so I
~was pleased.
~
~I also noticed they had received their supply of boxed plants. These are
~mostly Roses and shrubs, but the prices they are charging seem impossible to
~beat.
~
~I have a plan to take up propagating trees and shrubs for a living if I ever
~get made redundant from my "day job". But at £2.99 for an Acer Palmatum, I
~am thinking I need to re work my plans. At that rate I will need to sell
~about 100000 shrubs per annum to even make it worth my while.
~
~I did noy buy any of their stuff because its hard to see the roots on most
~of them, in fact on some its hard to see what shape the top of the plant is
~in. So its a bit like buying blind. I guess I could get a tenners worth
~grow them on until the shape and colour becoumes apparent, keep the ones
~that look OK and sell the remainder at the summer school fairs.
~
~After that ramble back to the point. My Heated Propagator, can anyone
~recommend and good books on propagation or alternatively, instant uses for
~my new toy.
~

Instant use: ok, almost instant. Grow carnations. They need 60-70
degree temperatures between Feb and April to germinate, according to
the back of the packet I just got. My propagator will be coming out
shortly...

They are very very good for germinating things like courgettes, beans
sweetcorn and the like. I had a much better germination rate last
season thanks to having a cheapie propagator (cost me a tenner from
B&Q) rather than relying on the greenhouse heater. With the corn it
was near 100% where the previous year (unheated) it was 65%.

You do have to watch out for temperatures though - best thing I can
advise is popping a thermometer into the thing - lay it over the top
of the pot or tray - so you know if it's getting too hot.

I have a book called Propagation Basics (by Steven Bradley) at home.
Publisher: Hamlyn; ISBN: 0806988517 (Amazon is useful sometimes!)
It's quite clear in its layout and costs around 7 quid. Amazon has
it, but it's on a 2 week order.

--
jane

Mark Twain