Old 12-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Philip

Default A trip to Woolies

On sunday 2/3rds of the family went out to Woolworths, the main reason for
the outing was to get a Freeview box. Then we discovered that the Sale was
still on, so I mananged to pick up a Heated Propagator at half price, so I
was pleased.

I also noticed they had received their supply of boxed plants. These are
mostly Roses and shrubs, but the prices they are charging seem impossible to
beat.

I have a plan to take up propagating trees and shrubs for a living if I ever
get made redundant from my "day job". But at £2.99 for an Acer Palmatum, I
am thinking I need to re work my plans. At that rate I will need to sell
about 100000 shrubs per annum to even make it worth my while.

I did noy buy any of their stuff because its hard to see the roots on most
of them, in fact on some its hard to see what shape the top of the plant is
in. So its a bit like buying blind. I guess I could get a tenners worth
grow them on until the shape and colour becoumes apparent, keep the ones
that look OK and sell the remainder at the summer school fairs.

After that ramble back to the point. My Heated Propagator, can anyone
recommend and good books on propagation or alternatively, instant uses for
my new toy.

Old 13-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Philip

Janet Tweedy wrote in message ...
In article , Philip
writes
After that ramble back to the point. My Heated Propagator, can anyone
recommend and good books on propagation or alternatively, instant uses for
my new toy.

The two books I have are The gardening Which guide to Successful
propagation and The Complete Book of Propagation (Mitchell Beazley
pub.).
Garden news says to delay sowing most things at the moment but to try
tiny seeds such as geraniums and begonias etc as they need a longer
growing period. Don't forget though that you then have to grow them on
in some heat!

Janet

Janet

I sprouted a Satsuma pip in compost in the airing cupboard. Took
about 3 weeks to a month for anything to happen. There were 3 white
shoots each 2 - 3 mm long. About 2 weeks ago I potted it up and put
it on the windowcill.

If I am reading your last sentence correctly, I think I should have
continued with the warm conditions for my sprouted pip. Is that
correct ?

Phil
Old 14-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Philip
writes

I sprouted a Satsuma pip in compost in the airing cupboard. Took
about 3 weeks to a month for anything to happen. There were 3 white
shoots each 2 - 3 mm long. About 2 weeks ago I potted it up and put
it on the windowcill.

If I am reading your last sentence correctly, I think I should have
continued with the warm conditions for my sprouted pip. Is that
correct ?

Phil

I was referring to the geraniums and begonias Phil, not so sure about
the satsuma pip. I wouldn't have thought it had to be VERY hot for it to
now get going, light levels are what are crucial usually to growth.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 15-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I was referring to the geraniums and begonias Phil, not so sure about
the satsuma pip. I wouldn't have thought it had to be VERY hot for it to
now get going, light levels are what are crucial usually to growth.

Two of my nine month old lemon trees have put on six inches since
November, standing on an east-facing windowsill in an unheated room.

The satsuma hasn't grown much in the last three months, but it's in an
even colder position.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 15-01-2004, 09:07 AM
jane

~
[...]

Instant use: ok, almost instant. Grow carnations. They need 60-70
degree temperatures between Feb and April to germinate, according to
the back of the packet I just got. My propagator will be coming out
shortly...

They are very very good for germinating things like courgettes, beans
sweetcorn and the like. I had a much better germination rate last
season thanks to having a cheapie propagator (cost me a tenner from
B&Q) rather than relying on the greenhouse heater. With the corn it
was near 100% where the previous year (unheated) it was 65%.

You do have to watch out for temperatures though - best thing I can
advise is popping a thermometer into the thing - lay it over the top
of the pot or tray - so you know if it's getting too hot.

I have a book called Propagation Basics (by Steven Bradley) at home.
Publisher: Hamlyn; ISBN: 0806988517 (Amazon is useful sometimes!)
It's quite clear in its layout and costs around 7 quid. Amazon has
it, but it's on a 2 week order.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 15-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Philip

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I was referring to the geraniums and begonias Phil, not so sure about
the satsuma pip. I wouldn't have thought it had to be VERY hot for it to
now get going, light levels are what are crucial usually to growth.

The satsuma hasn't grown much in the last three months, but it's in an
even colder position.

My Satsuma is still completely below ground. Did I get it out of the
airing cupboard too soon ?

I sprouted it in a grit/compost mix a plastic bag. Then once i saw
evidence of growth I moved it to a pot. I think I may put future
attempts in the same mix, but in a pot in a plastic bag. Saves on the
risk of damage during the bag opening discovery process.
Old 15-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Philip

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I was referring to the geraniums and begonias Phil, not so sure about
the satsuma pip. I wouldn't have thought it had to be VERY hot for it to
now get going, light levels are what are crucial usually to growth.

The satsuma hasn't grown much in the last three months, but it's in an
even colder position.

My Satsuma is still completely below ground. Did I get it out of the
airing cupboard too soon ?

I sprouted it in a grit/compost mix a plastic bag. Then once i saw
evidence of growth I moved it to a pot. I think I may put future
attempts in the same mix, but in a pot in a plastic bag. Saves on the
risk of damage during the bag opening discovery process.

Get Your Woolies Out (and fleece, cloches .....) Jake United Kingdom 5 27-03-2012 08:09 AM
Potato varieties and a trip to the HDRA jane United Kingdom 21 05-02-2004 08:06 PM
Making a weekend trip - Collecting Oppty's near Asheville, NC Allen Bonsai 0 07-04-2003 04:56 PM
Road trip Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Trip to USA sacha United Kingdom 8 19-10-2002 07:31 AM