Old 15-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Neil

Default Leylandii

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
"Neil" wrote in message
The height of the hedge is usually irrelevant as the roots continue to

grow
through the plant's life. The best bet is not to plant this type of

hedge
in the first place.

i have a leylandi hedge, about 6ft tall and 40-50ft long, probably 15- 20
years old (here before I moved in). AFAICS the roots dont spread beyond

the
width of the hedge. I assume this because the lawn goes right up to the

edge
of the leylandii, its as dry as a bone underneath them, but I've had no
problem with the lawn drying out next to the hedge, or any noticeable

roots
in the lawn, even within a few inches of the edge. If they have spread out
under the lawn they arent doing it any damage.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

I have found many hedges/singles where on removal the roots are widely
spread. They drain some of the lawns at one job to the extent that no
amount of watering can help in the summer.
Neil