Old 14-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Bill Pritchard

Default Leylandii

I know that leylandii grow quickly and that you shouldn't grow them close to
the house, but if I keep a hedge trimmed to 6ft, how far will the roots
eventually spread outwards?
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional
Old 14-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Neil

The height of the hedge is usually irrelevant as the roots continue to grow
through the plant's life. The best bet is not to plant this type of hedge
in the first place.

--
Neil Faulkner
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 14-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
Bill Pritchard14/1/04 3:24

I know that leylandii grow quickly and that you shouldn't grow them close to
the house, but if I keep a hedge trimmed to 6ft, how far will the roots
eventually spread outwards?

A very general rule is that roots will spread to the tree's canopy width.
My experience of leylandii is that the roots spread beyond the width of its'
waist and take up a lot of ground. They're very 'massy'and my husband's
opinion is that they'll spread as far on a 6' one as on a 20' one!
Unless you're prepared to be very strict indeed with this hedge, don't plant
it. It has to be trimmed rigorously for height and width, or you will lose
a lot of your garden both shade and width wise.
If you only want a hedge up to 6', had you thought of planting yew, holly,
copper beech (which will retain its dead leaves if trimmed) Escallonia (if
your climate is friendly) or Fuchsia (ditto re climate).

Heaven help me, even privet. It may be disgustingly rendolent of the
least inspired type of suburban gardening, but it isn't a bad hedge
plant, and its roots don't run at all badly. It's main root ball lies
under just the hedge, and its feeding roots tend not to spread further
than about 6'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Neil
writes
The height of the hedge is usually irrelevant as the roots continue to grow
through the plant's life. The best bet is not to plant this type of hedge
in the first place.

I was quite gladdened to see in the December issue of The garden, the
fact that the new hedge height laws are applied to evergreens and semi
evergreens only so presumably you could have a 7 foot beech or hawthorn
hedge quite safely.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 14-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Tumbleweed

"Neil" wrote in message
The height of the hedge is usually irrelevant as the roots continue to

grow
through the plant's life. The best bet is not to plant this type of hedge
in the first place.

i have a leylandi hedge, about 6ft tall and 40-50ft long, probably 15- 20
years old (here before I moved in). AFAICS the roots dont spread beyond the
width of the hedge. I assume this because the lawn goes right up to the edge
of the leylandii, its as dry as a bone underneath them, but I've had no
problem with the lawn drying out next to the hedge, or any noticeable roots
in the lawn, even within a few inches of the edge. If they have spread out
under the lawn they arent doing it any damage.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 15-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Neil

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

I have found many hedges/singles where on removal the roots are widely
spread. They drain some of the lawns at one job to the extent that no
amount of watering can help in the summer.
Neil

Old 30-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Brian Watson

"Stephen (Sausagefans.com)" wrote in message
Please can someone point me towards a good FAQ on Leylandii or similar
bushes I could use to form a fence around my garden?

Aaaaaaarrrggghh!

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII alan kearn United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 48 20-12-2002 12:11 AM
Leylandii - Its days are numbered! Drakanthus United Kingdom 49 18-12-2002 02:21 AM