Old 15-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Cannas

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie wrote in message .

Any pointers to planting them in ponds (compost and depth below water) I
have seen it done but didn't pay enough attention to the details!!

Well I remember seeing them growing right across a pond in Thailand, like

whole field of pink cannas rising out of muddy water, on closer inspection
they grew as bog plants not deep water aquatics. The ponds dried out at
certain times of the year I was told by locals.
So you can plant in UK ponds during the warmer months with water just

below
the surface of the compost, it worked for me, if it's growing away well

then
being below the water should work too but they must be well in growth and
the water should be warm(ish). Must also be brought indoors for the winter
(to dry out like that Thai pond).
Getting a large pot of canna and compost that is waterlogged out of a pond
is heavy work which is why I only did the experiment for one year. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob and Robert, I will bear the weight in mind although it can not be
worse than the several square yards of sedge I have just removed. I am not
sure if it will look right (certainly not Thailand here!) but I can always
lift them out if it doesn't

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk