Old 16-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Fig tree dying - help!

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

The genus Ficus includes an amazing number of related plants. F.
elastica is the 'rubber tree'; F. benjamina is the 'weeping fig' --
both are popular as houseplants. And it seems as if *all* of the
Ficus(es?) drop their leaves at the slightest excuse. F. benjamina is
famous for leaf drop whenever it's moved into a different lighting
situation. The leaves grow back. I was surprised to see a 20'
(outdoor) edible fig tree across the street drop *all* it's large,
leathery leaves after cold weather (-5C?) set in. It's been there for
decades and presumably will have new leaves next year.

I found a six foot specimen of F. elastica on the Estate's bonfire heap,
so I snarfed it and repotted it.

It didn't look very happy, but it has perked up a lot since then.
Surprisingly, the only leaves it lost were one or two which were broken
off when it was tossed on the heap.

Help! It's only an inch from the ceiling!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/