Old 16-01-2004, 04:32 AM
SJE

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

I am soon moving into a new home in Houston, TX. Behind my 6ft wood
fence, there will soon be a 2 lane road and maybe some mild
commericial development. I am looking to plant a privacy hedge.

- Want it to be *dense* so it will block all sight and maybe dampen
noise.
- Plan to make it 8-10ft, but want it to be able to get taller if
later decide its warranted.
- Will be along a back wood fence, with a resevoir behind me. No
neighbor to worry about.
- Would like it to grow at a reasonable to quick pace.
- Want it evergreen. Houston has hot, humid summers and mild winters
(freezes occasionally, no snow).
- Needs to be hardy. I do not have a green thumb. I will keep it
watered and such, but I want something I don't have to baby along for
it to survive.
- Will be planted into clay...which is pretty much what all ground
soil is in Houston.

Does arborvitae grow well in Houston? Or any other dense cedar? Any
other suggestions? Thanks!