Old 16-01-2004, 04:32 AM
SJE

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

I am soon moving into a new home in Houston, TX. Behind my 6ft wood
fence, there will soon be a 2 lane road and maybe some mild
commericial development. I am looking to plant a privacy hedge.

- Want it to be *dense* so it will block all sight and maybe dampen
noise.
- Plan to make it 8-10ft, but want it to be able to get taller if
later decide its warranted.
- Will be along a back wood fence, with a resevoir behind me. No
neighbor to worry about.
- Would like it to grow at a reasonable to quick pace.
- Want it evergreen. Houston has hot, humid summers and mild winters
(freezes occasionally, no snow).
- Needs to be hardy. I do not have a green thumb. I will keep it
watered and such, but I want something I don't have to baby along for
it to survive.
- Will be planted into clay...which is pretty much what all ground
soil is in Houston.

Does arborvitae grow well in Houston? Or any other dense cedar? Any
other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 16-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

"SJE" wrote in message
[...]

Consider Bamboo.
There is a nursery (I believe it is called Ma's nursery - in League City it
believe) that has many varieties. If you want to see what it looks like,
walk the trail at Hershey park between Memorial Drive and Wilcrest. I now
live in Maryland but walk there when I visit friends and family in Houston.

Old 16-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Shell

Personally we have a 30 year old holly hedge in the front yard with the side
yard a hedge of what I was told was prycanthia (I don't think it is though)
The "prycanthia" got to be around 10 - 12 feet until the neighbors asked if
they could prune it and nearly killed it by cutting it back to around 3 feet
(I was much ticked off)

Shell

Old 16-01-2004, 11:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

With the reservoir behind you as water source, a great choice is
Southern Wax Myrtle,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...acerifera.htm=
=2E
It draws 40 different types of birds and is a dense, evergreen tree
shrub. Birds will eat the fruits.

Someone mentioned Holly. Yaupon Holly,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...omitoria.htm,=

is a bird snactuary due to its proliferation of red berries. See the URL
link.

Possomhaw Viburnum,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...viburnumnud.h=
tm,
another great native with beautiful red berries and cover for wildlife.
(deciduous)

Also, Possomhaw Holly,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...lexdecidua.htm
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...ecidua2gg.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...decidua94.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...decidua83.html
(without is leaves, it blocks the sign pretty good, right?), The Houston
Chronicle quoted me in the gardening section that this is a
show-stopper.

Texas Native Shrubs,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...indexcommon.h=
tm

Texas Native Trees,
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../tamuhort.html -
pictured is benny Simpson, co-founder of the Native Plant Society of
Texas.

J. Kolenovsky
VP Houston Chapter, Native Plant Society of Texas
Come join us for free native plants, trees and shrubs.

SJE wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 16-01-2004, 11:42 PM
animaux

My first thought is bamboo. It's a beautiful plant and you can buy several
different clumping varieties which will give you a nicely textured hedge. You
can buy bamboo in many different colors, foliage types, heights and
invasiveness. Though clumping forms will be less invasive, most of them still
run in Texas. Our soil never freezes so things grow and grow. Be careful to
select varieties which will not take over. Clumping varieties can be kept in
bounds by culming in the spring.

You can look all the terms up.

Victoria

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:31:00 GMT, SJE
opined:

Old 17-01-2004, 01:02 AM
SJE

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Bamboo is intriguing, but I am going to need almost 150ft worth...is
this a maintenance nightmare? I don't mind trimming on even a weekly
basis, but I don't want something to spread out of control.

I've been reading about green giant arborvitae. Would this tree grow
in Texas or is it mostly a northern tree?
Old 17-01-2004, 03:43 AM
animaux

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:45:24 GMT, SJE
opined:

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Bamboo is intriguing, but I am going to need almost 150ft worth...is
this a maintenance nightmare? I don't mind trimming on even a weekly
basis, but I don't want something to spread out of control.

I've been reading about green giant arborvitae. Would this tree grow
in Texas or is it mostly a northern tree?

Well, it depends on your soil and pH levels, etc. They are not a widely used
shrub for here. It is not a tree.

I suggest you take a look at this website and call around. Maybe take a ride
out to the Houston Arboretum. You can find that info on this website, too.

http://www.npsot.org/Houston/plant_l...antSources.htm

Old 17-01-2004, 11:14 PM
J Kolenovsky

Bamboo could get out of control. The root runs will show up in your
neighbors yard. To eliminate that you could out down a steel root
barrier in the soil.

Arborvitae is a northern plant. They get leaf thin-out and look thinned
in the middle and bottom. You probably are looking in some catalogs and
saw these. If you are, consider some advice. I used to do that. Ordered
out of those mid and northern catalogs. I have ripped out all of those
plants purchased during 1992- 1997 becuase they aren't from these parts,
they aren't native, some got invasive, some got diseases, some required
a lot of work and some were just plain ugly as they got older.

If I could get you to consider native plants (again, I ask this - you
posted same topic 30 days ago), you will find that you'll have wildlife
in your yard, no pests or diseases, little fertilizing to do (using an
organic fertilzer), less maintenance and a higher quality of life. Ask
Victoria or ask me. We went with natives and people drop in the street
to admire the natural beauty of a habitat with native plants. Stop my my
website, http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business or my home habitat,
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden and view the pix and read the data. It
will be convincing enough.

J. Kolenovsky
Native Plant Society of Texas, Houston Chapter VP
(don't forget my invitation to you to come to our meetings and get free

-- =

Old 18-01-2004, 12:02 AM
meanbeagle

One word "OLEANDER". Oleander loves Houston's soil and weather.

Plant it soon to get it established by summer and forget about it.

Standard varities get up to 20'. improves varities "dwarf salmon" get only
4'to 5'.

I planted one gallon Oleander last April that is now 4'to 6' tall. Trim tops
to promote

filling in. Oleander will bloom through the summer, and is evergreen.

Josephs nursery in Pearland is a good nursery at wholesale prices.

Go to Maas nursery in Seabrook to get ideas, great place just a bit pricey.
I always ge something.

But go to joseophs in Pearland for bulk purchases.

Good luck.

Matt

Old 18-01-2004, 05:04 AM
zxcvbob

SJE wrote:
[...]

Oleander; as long as you don't have an aversion to poisonous plants.
Ligustrum if you need something less toxic.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 18-01-2004, 04:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

"Oleander Leaf Scorch" exists in Houston. =

http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/xylella/oleander.html

=

Old 18-01-2004, 04:33 PM
J Kolenovsky

Ligustrum problems:

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000857.html
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening...01700561.shtml

Cercospora leaf spot on privet/ligustrum =

We again are seeing a lot of this leaf spot in the clinic just as we did
as last year. Almost all ligustrums have this disease to some extent.
Symptoms are characterized by a light tan spot with a dark brown border.
Occasionally, severely infected leaves will drop but for the most part
the disease does not cause significant damage. It may be of concern to
homeowners but the disease does not merit a full blown spray program
like Entomosporium leaf spot. General leaf spot control practices and
good cultural care are usually enough to keep this disease in check.
Infection is favored by free moisture on
the foliage, such as after rain or from overhead watering. Avoid
overhead watering and keep the area around the plant clean of debris.
Infected leaves should be removed and thrown away. Selective pruning to
increase air circulation will also reduce disease incidence. For those
folks who insist on spraying, Daconil 2787 and Fung-Away are labeled for
leaf spot control on ligustrum. Target protection of new, expanding
leaves this spring. Clients should follow label recommendations for
rates and method of application.

Old 18-01-2004, 09:33 PM
animaux

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:46:13 -0600, zxcvbob opined:

Oleander; as long as you don't have an aversion to poisonous plants.
Ligustrum if you need something less toxic.

Best regards,
Bob

Oleander is poison if you eat it. I never ate it. Ligustrum is a noxious weed
which is on every DO NOT PLANT in Texas and many other states. Please, with all
the myriad offerings, do not plant any ligustrum.
Old 19-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Secret Asian Man

"meanbeagle" wrote in message
One word "OLEANDER". Oleander loves Houston's soil and weather.

Good choice. I also use it as a screen. Not only does it grow fast and hide
unsightly areas, it blooms profusely in May and June. For a
"stick-it-in-the-ground-and-forget-it" large shrub, oleander can't be beat.
It's so tough that they plant it on freeway medians.

[IMG] code is On

Looking for plant suggestions for privacy border Clem Gardening 3 18-02-2007 07:59 PM
Seek Suggestions for Privacy Tree openspaces Gardening 9 06-05-2006 05:36 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Gardening 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Ponds 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Suggestions for Living Privacy Fence in South Bobbie Gardening 14 31-10-2003 08:02 PM