Old 16-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pieris japonica

Has anyone on the list used this species? Only Tomlinson seems
to have a brief mention of it; nothing in Bonsai Today that I can
find, under Pieris OR Andromoda. BCI's species guide is,
perhaps, as brief as any on their list and taken mostly from
Tomlinson. Dirr says hardy to zone 5; BCI says nothing below 35
degrees. (!)

I'd swear I've seen pictures of Pieris bonsai.

Dirr says Phytophthora fungus and lace bugs are very damaging to
this species.

Tomlinson says beware of limey water; Dirr says they're less
"afraid" of lime than other ericaceous plants.

So, does anyone here KNOW?

My local nursery has 2 P. japonica. One has a very nice base,
then spreads out like a candelabra on Liberace's piano , so if
you know how well this sprouts back after severe chops I'd
appreciate that info too (assuming I buy it, that is).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++