Old 16-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pieris japonica

Has anyone on the list used this species? Only Tomlinson seems
to have a brief mention of it; nothing in Bonsai Today that I can
find, under Pieris OR Andromoda. BCI's species guide is,
perhaps, as brief as any on their list and taken mostly from
Tomlinson. Dirr says hardy to zone 5; BCI says nothing below 35
degrees. (!)

I'd swear I've seen pictures of Pieris bonsai.

Dirr says Phytophthora fungus and lace bugs are very damaging to
this species.

Tomlinson says beware of limey water; Dirr says they're less
"afraid" of lime than other ericaceous plants.

So, does anyone here KNOW?

My local nursery has 2 P. japonica. One has a very nice base,
then spreads out like a candelabra on Liberace's piano , so if
you know how well this sprouts back after severe chops I'd
appreciate that info too (assuming I buy it, that is).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Anton Nijhuis

Pieris is probably the most overused landscape plant in Coastal British
Columbia, they are everywhere. Treat them much the same as azalea, good
drainage is essential. Since they have a very fine root system they do
better in a soil with 50% bark mulch and cannot be neglected for
watering, again chelated fertilizer as per Rhodo specie. I have done a
few for bonsai over the years I recommend that larger is better due to
foliage size and node length and poor root system. I have maintained
some very large older ones that were planted in barrels for customers,
they do ok in winter. We had two weeks of 19F and they are still fine. I
have seen them run over with cars, abused by dogs, smashed with shopping
carts and bud right back. Of course they look quite haggard when abused
and sometimes I get paid to replace them and told to dispose of such

They will bud back almost anywhere, flower in spring and the real beauty
is the red new growth shortly afterwards. I have pruned many hundreds of
plants correcting many 'bad' pruning jobs.

Of all the landscapes plants I would say that Pieris is the one that a
skilled bonsaist would have a greater advantage with. I have seen very
few that have been pruned properly as to style. Too many are just hacked
with hedge trimmers.

There is a smaller leaf variety out on the market, can't remember the
name.

Anton

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 16-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Jim Lewis

There is a smaller leaf variety out on the market, can't
remember the
name.

Thanks, Anton (and others!). The one in my local nursery has
leaves of about 1 - 1.5 inches.

Maybe I'll give it a try. I really, really, REALLY need a new
tree!

Old 16-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thanks, Anton (and others!). The one in my local nursery has
leaves of about 1 - 1.5 inches.

Maybe I'll give it a try. I really, really, REALLY need a new
tree!

1 - 1.5", hmm, does this mean a larger than Mame tree?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 16-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Pieris is one of those plants where you need to see the individual before deciding whether to use it as a bonsai. Sometimes you see one that has a nice root system, good branching and smallish leaves, and that's when you want to use it as a bonsai. But 9
9% of the time there's something wrong with the specimen that can't be corrected.

I've worked a lot with a close relative of pieris, enkianthus, which has the same habit and flowers. As you know, I like it very much.

To see a list of Pieris cultivars, go to:

http://www.roslynnursery.com/

Roslyn nursery has a great selection of them, although as I just said, I wouldn't order a pieris mail order- I'd want to see it in person.

-Nina

Old 16-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks, Anton (and others!). The one in my local nursery has
leaves of about 1 - 1.5 inches.

Maybe I'll give it a try. I really, really, REALLY need a new
tree!

1 - 1.5", hmm, does this mean a larger than Mame tree?

Yes. I DO have a few that are bigger than 6 inches. ;-)