Old 16-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Pieris japonica

In a message dated 1/16/2004 2:13:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Has anyone on the list used this species? Only Tomlinson seems
to have a brief mention of it; nothing in Bonsai Today that I can
find, under Pieris OR Andromoda. BCI's species guide is,
perhaps, as brief as any on their list and taken mostly from
Tomlinson. Dirr says hardy to zone 5; BCI says nothing
below 35
degrees.

Jim:

I have worked in depth with Pieris, and the results were quite acceptable.

Wintering: My recommendation is that you DO NOT allow it to freeze. sustained freezes (weeks) in temperatures below 30-degrees Fahrenheit will stress and possibly kill the tree.

I would move it into a cold environment where the temperatures remain above freezing.

Cordially,

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++