Old 19-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Ka30P

Default Turtle questions

I have kept painted turtles in my pond.
I live in zone 7a in SE WA state.
Painted turtles seem to be a pretty hardy lot.

For turtles you need:

- a safe place for them to easily get in and out of the pond to bask as they
need to feel safe enough to do this for many hours a day for their health.
- a safe place they can have their food. They will eat pond food (koi chow,
snails, clams, lily pads, water hycainths, aquatic insects) but they also enjoy
turtle chow, fruit and garden snails. I have an island in my pond for both
basking and feeding.
- a decent filter system. Turtles make serious poop!
- a way to keep a hole open in the ice in the winter for gas exchange.
- a very securely fenced yard as some turtles will go on walk about and end up
at the neighbors.

Another option for turtles is to adopt one from a turtle 'rehabber'. Many vets
or pet store owners know of a turtle rehabber in the area. These folks take on
sick and unwanted turtles to foster them back to health.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html