Old 18-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Glenn Lynn

Default Turtle questions

I have questions about keeping turtles in my pond. But first, I will
give you a description of the pond. It is located in North-central
Pennsylvania in Zone 5. We have had some low temperatures in the
vicinity of -10 below recently but that is unusual. The pond is
roughly 6’ by 16’. There are multiple depth levels with the deepest
spot being about 3 ½ feet. It will not freeze solid. I have several
inches of pond planting soil covering the bottom for critters to
burrow into. It holds about 900 gallons of water. It contains
various water plants, different strains of goldfish, claims, snails,
tadpoles and frogs.

I would like to introduce turtles to the pond but am unsure as to what
to do. I have already decided if I get turtles they should be either
Map Turtles or Red Ear Slider Turtles. Map Turtles are native to this
area and I think Red Ear Sliders are native only as far north as
Virginia. I don’t want to mess up the environment and catch my own so
that leaves me with buying them.

So, here are the questions: (1) It seems all of the turtle dealers
plan on people keeping them in an aquarium. Hence, the instructions
they provide claim the water temperature should be at least 70 degrees
with a lamp for them to bask under that is at least 80. Does that
mean a turtle that has been captive bred won’t survive if released
into the wild where the temperatures are much colder? (2) What would
happen if I bought baby turtles now, raised them indoors until the
weather got warmer and slowly introduced them into the pond? Would
they survive? (3) Would three Map or Slider Turtles be too many for
my pond?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Glenn

Old 19-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Ka30P

I have kept painted turtles in my pond.
I live in zone 7a in SE WA state.
Painted turtles seem to be a pretty hardy lot.

For turtles you need:

- a safe place for them to easily get in and out of the pond to bask as they
need to feel safe enough to do this for many hours a day for their health.
- a safe place they can have their food. They will eat pond food (koi chow,
snails, clams, lily pads, water hycainths, aquatic insects) but they also enjoy
turtle chow, fruit and garden snails. I have an island in my pond for both
basking and feeding.
- a decent filter system. Turtles make serious poop!
- a way to keep a hole open in the ice in the winter for gas exchange.
- a very securely fenced yard as some turtles will go on walk about and end up
at the neighbors.

Another option for turtles is to adopt one from a turtle 'rehabber'. Many vets
or pet store owners know of a turtle rehabber in the area. These folks take on
sick and unwanted turtles to foster them back to health.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 20-01-2004, 04:34 PM
joe

On 1/18/04 12:26 PM, "Glenn Lynn" wrote:

So, here are the questions: (1) It seems all of the turtle dealers
plan on people keeping them in an aquarium. Hence, the instructions
they provide claim the water temperature should be at least 70 degrees
with a lamp for them to bask under that is at least 80. Does that
mean a turtle that has been captive bred won’t survive if released
into the wild where the temperatures are much colder?

No, they'll be fine. The temperature thing is a health issue for the
semi-domesticated turtle. When the water starts getting colder the turtle
says to himself, "oh, gonna want to hibernate soon, best stop eating." So if
the temp hovers around 60 for very long, they aren't eating nor are they
hibernating - a very unhealthy issue. So indoors, you just keep them from
hibernating by keeping the temp up. Outdoors this wouldn't be an issue,
because the temp will drop steadily and the turtle will go to the bottom and
take a long winters nap. (interestingly, here in San Diego, I do have this
problem. My water is just below 60 and my turtle basks during the day but
won't take food. Next year we will build him a separate "winter home" that
we will keep heated.)

(2) What would
happen if I bought baby turtles now, raised them indoors until the
weather got warmer and slowly introduced them into the pond? Would
they survive?

I'd wait until your water got warm in spring and get them then. Dealing with
turtles indoors is a pain in the ass. Lots of water changing, etc.

(3) Would three Map or Slider Turtles be too many for
my pond?

They wouldn't be crowded, but three turtles generate a huge amount of poop.
Your filter system would have to be excellent. If you get more than one
turtle, make sure they are all about the same size. Not all turtles are
peace loving individuals. We tried to introduce a 4" newcomer to our 5,000
gal pond and our other 8" turtle harassed him so badly we took him back.

FYI: We really enjoy our turtle and he has come to recognize us. The only
issue we have had is that, on occasion, he gets out of the pond and does a
walk about. Fortunately, our dog only barks her brains out at it and doesn't
hurt it, but that is something to consider. If you have a native species in
your area, that's what I would opt for, then if they do leave at least they
can survive in the wild. You might also check out turtle rescue groups (if
any) in your area.

Good luck
Joe

Turtle Questions 10Sguy Ponds 15 05-07-2003 04:20 PM
Outdoor turtle habitat Dave Bell Ponds 3 01-04-2003 12:44 AM
behold the turtle K30a Ponds 0 11-03-2003 06:58 PM