Old 19-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Hydroponics and Acers!! ???

Hi,

Just a thought to get some discussion going on the above topic.

Hydroponics and Acers!! ???

I've never worked with a full hydroponic system, but when I studied
mycorrhizal fungi, we used to grow trees in little envelopes. You know
what a hanging file system is, in a filing cabinet? It was like that,
only each file contained a root system.

I'm going to suggest that growing maples in turface is essentially a
hydroponic system. In the hydroponic systems I've seen for greenhouse
lettuce, the plants were grown in rockwool with a circulating nutrient
system; how different is that from how we already grow bonsai? They get
nutrients from the liquid phase, they get plenty of aeration,etc.

Now, if what you are really asking is whether growing an Acer seedling
indoors in the winter with artificial lighting is a good idea, I'd have to
say no, not unless you really want to spend a lot of money.

But then, I like bonsai because it is low-tech.

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++