Old 20-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Steve

Default Pond Temperatures

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been asked over and over but I haven't been able
to find any real specific answers to it. I saw some posts where people are
up in Canada and they have a pond in the backyard. I live in Calgary and
the temperatures here get pretty cold at times (-20C to -30C). If I were to
build a pond about 3ft to 4ft deep, would goldfish be able to survive the
winters if I took the necessary precautions? I.e. Covering the pond with
something and keeping the pond from completely icing over?

Having a pond sounds like a great hobby but also lots of work! I'm just
curios about what success or failure stories in maintaing fish in the pond
in areas where the temperatures are frigid.

Thanks!