Old 20-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Steve

Default Pond Temperatures

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been asked over and over but I haven't been able
to find any real specific answers to it. I saw some posts where people are
up in Canada and they have a pond in the backyard. I live in Calgary and
the temperatures here get pretty cold at times (-20C to -30C). If I were to
build a pond about 3ft to 4ft deep, would goldfish be able to survive the
winters if I took the necessary precautions? I.e. Covering the pond with
something and keeping the pond from completely icing over?

Having a pond sounds like a great hobby but also lots of work! I'm just
curios about what success or failure stories in maintaing fish in the pond
in areas where the temperatures are frigid.

Thanks!

Old 20-01-2004, 06:12 AM

I have a friend that lives in Calgary.. Her pond does well and it is not
very deep.. So yes, there can be success in keeping ponds in the Great White
North ( and on the praries to boot ). I have a friend in Moose Jaw that also
has pond going, I have not talked to him in a while, but I suspect things
are going just fine ( I believe his is three to four ft deep ).. Read read
read and do more reading before you jump into the pond idea... That way your
enjoyment is larger than disappointment..

Tim..

Old 20-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Howard

My pond is only 36" at it's deepest, I put a cover, leftover liner from
the pond over 2/3 of it covering the last part with heavy clear plastic
for light, its reached -40C in Toronto, Ontario, with an airline in the
water, I'm able to keep a hole open and I see the fish still swimming
below, 3 of the smallest fish are about 2"

I also placed a piece of wood intothe water which I can move around to
break up the ice to make a bigger hole when it starts to creep in around
the wood.

I check it once a week

"Steve" wrote in

Old 22-01-2004, 04:20 PM

well after this extremely cold snap my pond is now 40oF and the fish are on the
bottom. I am really surprised cause some places are calling off school. When I was
a kid school was only called off for feet of snow, not cold. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 22-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Bob

Think about it we are raising a society of people who cannot take care of
theirselves. Years ago you didn't work you didn't eat you died. You didn't chop wood
you froze you died. Now we have laws to protect ourselves from ourselves (helmet laws,
seat belt laws for adults). Every kind of mission, church and charity to take care
of the "homeless". And the schools are just following suit.

wrote:

well after this extremely cold snap my pond is now 40oF and the fish are on the
bottom. I am really surprised cause some places are calling off school. When I was
a kid school was only called off for feet of snow, not cold. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 22-01-2004, 08:49 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
well after this extremely cold snap my pond is now 40oF and the fish are

on the
bottom. I am really surprised cause some places are calling off school.

When I was
a kid school was only called off for feet of snow, not cold. Ingrid

My pond has been 3/4 iced over for weeks. Somebody please tell them damn
minnows that it is too cold to be swimming around.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com