Old 20-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Julie Clark Julie Clark is offline
Registered User

Location: Coventry
Default Pots & Plants advice

[quote]Originally posted by Spider
[b]Hello Julie,
I suggest you try some of the hardy border geraniums and some hardy
fucshias, both of which will survive your shady conditions.
These will not be in flower during April, so you may have to pot up some
late-ish polyanthus and hyacinths for immediate impact. A look in your
local garden centre will give you some ideas. Don't worry too much about
your shady aspect. I doubt that you've got really dense shade at the front
of your house, and it's surprising what will grow in a sunless area,
provided there is good daylight.

There are readily available 'hanging basket and pot' composts which have
slow-release fertiliser in. Some also have water-retaining crystals, so
it's worth shopping around. It is possible to buy water-retaining crystals
separately if necessary.

However, nothing will survive in a pot without some care. In a pot, the
plants are totally dependent on you. Since you are moving, you won't have
to care for them for too long, so it's time to drop your 'bad gardener ' tag
and have a go.

Good luck with your pots and subsequent house sale.
Spider
snip

Thanks Spider
Sorry I haven't thanked you earlier, been away working and no opportunity to get online much.
Am checking out garden centres as we speak Lordy, so much to choose from ... so little knowledge lol
Julie