Old 06-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry
Default Pots & Plants advice

You all seem to know what you're talking about (most of the time anyway ) so some advice if you will, please
I am hoping to put my house on the market mid-April time and I want to make a good first impression if I can. I live in a mid terraced house so no front garden to speak of. I have decked what's there to keep it tidy but now want some plant advice for a few pots. The area gets the sun first thing in the morning but loses it by about 11am and doesn't get it back at all. It isn't under any cover so will get the rain etc, but it is also near enough for the young hooligans down the road to lean over the wall and pull up anything that spreads too much
I want something that will give a bit of colour but is likely to survive without too much TLC since I'm quite bad at the gardening thing!!
Along the same lines is there a preferred compost, drainage system, watering regime that is better for pots or is that dependent on the type of plants you've used?
Thanks for any help

Julie
Old 12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Spider

Hello Julie,
I suggest you try some of the hardy border geraniums and some hardy
fucshias, both of which will survive your shady conditions.
These will not be in flower during April, so you may have to pot up some
late-ish polyanthus and hyacinths for immediate impact. A look in your
local garden centre will give you some ideas. Don't worry too much about
your shady aspect. I doubt that you've got really dense shade at the front
of your house, and it's surprising what will grow in a sunless area,
provided there is good daylight.

There are readily available 'hanging basket and pot' composts which have
slow-release fertiliser in. Some also have water-retaining crystals, so
it's worth shopping around. It is possible to buy water-retaining crystals
separately if necessary.

However, nothing will survive in a pot without some care. In a pot, the
plants are totally dependent on you. Since you are moving, you won't have
to care for them for too long, so it's time to drop your 'bad gardener ' tag
and have a go.

Good luck with your pots and subsequent house sale.
Spider
s.com...

--
Julie Clark

Old 20-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry

[quote]Originally posted by Spider
[b]Hello Julie,
[...]

snip

Thanks Spider
Sorry I haven't thanked you earlier, been away working and no opportunity to get online much.
Am checking out garden centres as we speak Lordy, so much to choose from ... so little knowledge lol
Julie
Old 20-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

It may sound boring, but how about a couple of little shrubs that aren't going to look out of place even without flowers? A pair of hebes either side of the door, or some ivy trailing out of tall pots would look good. The advantage is that they don't need any care after a splash of water - and they are cheap! By spending the money saved on really showy pots that can move with you to the new place, you may even find yourself bitten by the gardening bug later in summer and already have a place to start!
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection
Old 21-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Spider

Hello Julie,
Thanks for coming back.
I'm glad you've seen lots of goodies. Don't be detered by what you don't
know .. we all started out that way. I'm sure you can do it, and enjoy
doing it.
Because you're plant shopping early in the year, make sure your new
treasures are hardened off (gradually acclimatised to cold weather), so you
don't suffer casualties.
Hope all goes well. I'm sure we'll hear from you once you've got a bigger
garden.
Regards,
Spider
Julie Clark wrote in message
s.com...
[b]Hello Julie,

Old 27-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Andy Hunt

--
Hazell B
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding
Perfection

Or how about just "Sod's Lawn" . . . ? Or "Coup de Grass" . . . ? ;-)

Andrew