Old 20-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Al

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

My goal is to expand my experience with stem propagation of Phals by
actually excising the node and attempting to multiply the meristematic
tissue in a liquid media but I probably won't stop there. I was thinking of
a roller drum because it looks neat. :-) A shaker table is probably more
within my budget.

Are Phals orchids which like or dislike a 24 hour light cycle during the
multiplication phase?

I have a book called Micropropagation of Orchids by Arditti and Ernst
published in 1993. It outlines research on propagation techniques for many
orchids by genera and provides a kind of history of propagation for most but
I have been told several times that it is dated and newer info is available
to augment what was compiled in this book. I don't have this newer info at
my fingertips or really know where to get it. :-( Anyway, dated or not, I
will turn to it once I assemble all the little gadgets I need for this mad
experiment.

Thank you to everybody who offered input. If there is more to come I will
be on the look out for it.

"Aaron Hicks" wrote in message

Al, you don't specify what you want to use it for, but the upper
speed is going to be way too high for tissue culture work with orchids.

Keep in mind that some orchids don't like 24 hr/day cycles for
tumbling. Some do best with a few hours on, followed by a few hours off.

I think there are plans on the web somewhere for do-it-yourself
rigs; ditto with eBay and Labx. Save some bucks.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ