Old 21-01-2004, 03:12 AM
pm

Default New Orleans - premature bulb bloom?

Hello Paghat and Animaux,

Thanks for the mails. Well, yeah, I am taking a look at the plants every
morning and evening, because that is all I can do. Fortunately last night's
and tonight's cold snap are not supposed to b freezing, but thanks for the
tips on covering up in case of inclement weather.

Thanks again fellows. Great newsgroup.

Nice work with the web site, Paghat!!

Priyo.
"pm" wrote in message news:gR%Ob.4264$ZJ1.1756@lakeread01...
Hello folks,

I just noticed that 3 of my Darwin Hybrid Tulips are about to bloom, and
rest of the bunch also look like will be blooming soon. Is it too early

for
New Orleans south shore near the lake? I am almost to the point of giving
up that I must have done something wrong that the bulbs are coming up too
early and will not really bloom. BTW, these were from Brent and Becky's.
Dimensionwise, I would say they are about 6"-8" tall, and the flower spike
is just as tall as the opening leaves, almost hidden within the large
leaves.

Something similar with my Sam's Club purchase daffodils as well. Almost
similar heightwise as the tulips, and a bunch of them have flower stalks
already out. In fact, the most eager one's flower head is already kind of
drooping, may be because the stalk has not matured yet fully and the

flower
is too heavy for it? I am talking in entirely unscientific terms, so

please
forgive my ignorance.

Any idea what's going on? Am I rightly alarmed or is this normal? I put
the bulbs in refrigerator beginning of 10/03, and planted them in the

ground
beginning of 12/03. Of course that we are going to get near freezing

temps
is worrying me too.

Thanks.

Priyo.