Old 20-01-2004, 02:06 AM
pm

Default New Orleans - premature bulb bloom?

Hello folks,

I just noticed that 3 of my Darwin Hybrid Tulips are about to bloom, and
rest of the bunch also look like will be blooming soon. Is it too early for
New Orleans south shore near the lake? I am almost to the point of giving
up that I must have done something wrong that the bulbs are coming up too
early and will not really bloom. BTW, these were from Brent and Becky's.
Dimensionwise, I would say they are about 6"-8" tall, and the flower spike
is just as tall as the opening leaves, almost hidden within the large
leaves.

Something similar with my Sam's Club purchase daffodils as well. Almost
similar heightwise as the tulips, and a bunch of them have flower stalks
already out. In fact, the most eager one's flower head is already kind of
drooping, may be because the stalk has not matured yet fully and the flower
is too heavy for it? I am talking in entirely unscientific terms, so please
forgive my ignorance.

Any idea what's going on? Am I rightly alarmed or is this normal? I put
the bulbs in refrigerator beginning of 10/03, and planted them in the ground
beginning of 12/03. Of course that we are going to get near freezing temps
is worrying me too.

Thanks.

Priyo.

Old 20-01-2004, 03:58 AM
paghat

In article gR%Ob.4264$ZJ1.1756@lakeread01, "pm" wrote:

Hello folks,

I just noticed that 3 of my Darwin Hybrid Tulips are about to bloom, and
rest of the bunch also look like will be blooming soon. Is it too early for
New Orleans south shore near the lake? I am almost to the point of giving
up that I must have done something wrong that the bulbs are coming up too
early and will not really bloom. BTW, these were from Brent and Becky's.
Dimensionwise, I would say they are about 6"-8" tall, and the flower spike
is just as tall as the opening leaves, almost hidden within the large
leaves.

Spring starts sooner for the Gulf states than indicated by the "average"
expected bloom season estimates for the whole USA. Some hybrid tulips
bloom this early even further north, though for so early as January I'd
expect Triumphs well before Darwins. It has nothing to do with you doing
something wrong though; they do what they want when they want to depending
on how they experience the seasons. But they may not be getting ready to
bloom quite as early as you think; they can be producing leaves then buds
quite a long while before actually ready to burst into full flower.

Something similar with my Sam's Club purchase daffodils as well. Almost
similar heightwise as the tulips, and a bunch of them have flower stalks
already out. In fact, the most eager one's flower head is already kind of
drooping, may be because the stalk has not matured yet fully and the flower
is too heavy for it? I am talking in entirely unscientific terms, so please
forgive my ignorance.

Some daffodils just naturally have very floppy flower stems. Usually they
produce enough grassy leaves to brace the stems which keeps them from
actually looking tipped over. But really, there's no reason they should be
totally upright like chopsticks stuck in the ground in order to look
great.

Any idea what's going on? Am I rightly alarmed or is this normal? I put
the bulbs in refrigerator beginning of 10/03, and planted them in the ground
beginning of 12/03. Of course that we are going to get near freezing temps
is worrying me too.

I wouldn't worry. Even if there was cause to worry, nothin' you could do
about it, so just give it a shrug & observe what happens in the next few
weeks. As for freezing, if all you get is morning frosts, that's not going
to be enough to hurt early bulbs.

-paghat the ratgirl

Thanks.

Priyo.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 20-01-2004, 02:12 PM
animaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:53:31 -0600, "pm" opined:

[...]

It's not something you did wrong. The south has had an abnormally warm winter.
Most days have been in the high 60s through 70s, with days like two days ago in
the 80 degree range. What we get in Austin, you get a few days later...for the
most part.

There is nothing you can do about tulips blooming too early. For this reason,
I don't plant tulips unless I'm fully ready to lose them to a hard frost after
they emerge during our very warm days and nights in winter.

I do use many different daffodils.

You can cover them if a hard freeze is on the way. Do not use plastic. Use a
sheet and you can cover the sheet with plastic, but don't cover the foliage with
plastic directly. Make sure you remove the cover during the day or the
overheating can cook the foliage.

That's about all you can do.
Old 21-01-2004, 03:07 AM
pm

Hello Paghat and Animaux,

Thanks for the mails. Well, yeah, I am taking a look at the plants every
morning and evening, because that is all I can do. Fortunately last night's
and tonight's cold snap are not supposed to b freezing, but thanks for the
tips on covering up in case of inclement weather.

Thanks again fellows. Great newsgroup.

Nice work with the web site, Paghat!!

Priyo.

Old 22-01-2004, 02:42 AM
marie

"pm" wrote in message news:EPlPb.6868$ZJ1.2054@lakeread01...
[...]

I agree with this person.
Old 22-01-2004, 04:03 AM

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:53:31 -0600, pm wrote:

[...]

Welcome to the reality of global warming. The climates are changing.
It's a cyclic thing exasperated by this land's poor enviornmental policies.

Wait in anticipation and then enjoy. Plants have been around much longer
than us and they have a better feel for what's going on than we.
Old 22-01-2004, 02:42 PM
animaux

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:58:02 -0600, C opined:

Welcome to the reality of global warming. The climates are changing.
It's a cyclic thing exasperated by this land's poor enviornmental policies.

Wait in anticipation and then enjoy. Plants have been around much longer
than us and they have a better feel for what's going on than we.

Global warming is a definite problem, but it has nothing to do with the
unpredictable weather in the deep south, during winter. It can be 80 today, 35
tomorrow.

Global warming is effecting the polar ice caps. It doesn't show up in ordinary
conditions at levels which would cause alarm for anyone. However, it's
insidious and effects places where nothing lives. It's evident there, but has
nothing to do with the winter weather in the south.

We all know growing bulbs which require cooling periods could possibly not
perform well. Some people insist on planting them, I do not. Daffodils I do
have planted, but they are far better for southern climates than are tulips.

Victoria
Old 22-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Brian Quincy Hutchings

overall of "global" warming is a crock
(Svente Ahrennius' 1896 metaphor,
taht cannot even account for the differentials
that are in an ordinary glass house --
that was the alleged model that he used
for CO2 gas).
a good way of overcoming this conciet
of the UNIPCC's computerized simulacra,
is to look at the NYTimes weather page,
wich always has a sort of random vingette
on some aspect of the current weather:
half the time, the records are for coolth!

C wrote in message ...

Welcome to the reality of global warming. The climates are changing.

--Give the Gift of Dick Cheeny -- out of office, at last!
http://www.benfranklinbooks.com/
http://www.wlym.com/pages/music.html
http://larouchepub.com/other/2003/30...ey_freaks.html
http://larouchepub.com/other/2003/30...te_plmbrs.html
http://larouchepub.com/pr_lar/2003/0...statement.html
http://larouchepub.com/other/2003/30...t_pricing.html
http://larouchepub.com/lar/2003/3047detroit_spch.html
http://www.rand.org/publications/ran...sues/rr.12.00/
http://members.tripod.com/~american_almanac
http://www.wlym.com/PDF-68-76/CAM7606.pdf

Old 22-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from animaux contains these words:

Global warming is a definite problem, but it has nothing to do with the
unpredictable weather in the deep south, during winter. It can be 80
today, 35
tomorrow.

Global warming is effecting the polar ice caps. It doesn't show up in
ordinary
conditions at levels which would cause alarm for anyone. However, it's
insidious and effects places where nothing lives.

Significant climate change certainly is affecting areas where plants,
animals and people live.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html.

Janet. (UK)

Old 22-01-2004, 11:13 PM
animaux

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:23:30 GMT, Janet Baraclough ..
opined:

The message
from animaux contains these words:

Global warming is a definite problem, but it has nothing to do with the
unpredictable weather in the deep south, during winter. It can be 80
today, 35
tomorrow.

Global warming is effecting the polar ice caps. It doesn't show up in
ordinary
conditions at levels which would cause alarm for anyone. However, it's
insidious and effects places where nothing lives.

Significant climate change certainly is affecting areas where plants,
animals and people live.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html.

Janet. (UK)

Like I said, it doesn't have any relationship with how winter temperature
fluctuations or unpredictable winter weather effects the south in the US. I
also started off saying global warming is a definite problem.
Old 22-01-2004, 11:13 PM
animaux

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Bonsai People in New Orleans Roger Case Bonsai 1 02-09-2005 04:54 AM
New Orleans.... Gareee© Ponds 36 01-09-2005 05:34 PM
New Orleans Anthona Orchids 0 29-08-2005 03:11 PM
Tomatoes in New Orleans? Norm Gardening 2 17-07-2003 06:22 PM
Free logs of New Orleans Resurrection Fern Zemedelec Gardening 1 04-07-2003 03:08 AM