Old 21-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Grafting Questions

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.23...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

news:buk4i0$85j
:

My other question is how do I start some Paul's Scarlet off on my own
rootstock? I've never grafted before, so read up a bit and all I know
is to use some strong rootstock (in this case plain hawthorn?)

I have severe doubts whether a rose scion grafted on to a hawthorn stock
would take.

I think Hazell means Crataegus laevigata "Paul's Scarlet", the hawthorn
with double red flowers. Not the rose of the same name.

I feel sure you must be right. The question makes much more sene that way.
In that case, none of what I said would be relevant.
I do hope Hazell has not by now cut "long shoots" from her hawthorn.
{:-((

Franz