Old 21-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Indian Hawthorn Problem/Disease

"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone leaving only the

top
center with any leaves. A landscaper was recently at my neighbor's house
and I asked him about it. He said it is a disease/fungus (he didn't know
the name) which frequently afflicts these plants to the point where he has
quit planting them. I'm in Zone 7. Does anyone know what this is and/or
what the cure is? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Berob

It is the same fungus that results in leaf spot on photinia, Entosporium,
although 'Eleanor Tabor' is supposed to more resistant to this problem than
many other cultivars. Unfortunately, there is no "cure" for fungal
problems - once afflicted it is very dfficult to control the spread of this
disease. Indian hawthorns are of marginal hardiness in zone 7 - I'd be
inclined to replace them with something more suited to your climate and
without disease problems.

pam - gardengal