Old 21-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Berob

Default Indian Hawthorn Problem/Disease

I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone leaving only the top
center with any leaves. A landscaper was recently at my neighbor's house
and I asked him about it. He said it is a disease/fungus (he didn't know
the name) which frequently afflicts these plants to the point where he has
quit planting them. I'm in Zone 7. Does anyone know what this is and/or
what the cure is? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Berob

Old 21-01-2004, 05:32 AM
B & J

"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone leaving only the

top
center with any leaves. A landscaper was recently at my neighbor's house
and I asked him about it. He said it is a disease/fungus (he didn't know
the name) which frequently afflicts these plants to the point where he has
quit planting them. I'm in Zone 7. Does anyone know what this is and/or
what the cure is? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Berob

As a guess, I would suggest that the hawthorns may be infected with fire
blight. I thought about planting a hawthorn in my yard until I found that
fire blight was a big problem. I've lost mountain ash and apples trees to
fire blight, which made me leery about planting a hawthorn. Check out this
site or do a Google search by typing in "hawthorn fire blight":

http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/ipm2/communi...ire_blight.htm

John

Old 21-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone leaving only the

top
center with any leaves. A landscaper was recently at my neighbor's house
and I asked him about it. He said it is a disease/fungus (he didn't know
the name) which frequently afflicts these plants to the point where he has
quit planting them. I'm in Zone 7. Does anyone know what this is and/or
what the cure is? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Berob

It is the same fungus that results in leaf spot on photinia, Entosporium,
although 'Eleanor Tabor' is supposed to more resistant to this problem than
many other cultivars. Unfortunately, there is no "cure" for fungal
problems - once afflicted it is very dfficult to control the spread of this
disease. Indian hawthorns are of marginal hardiness in zone 7 - I'd be
inclined to replace them with something more suited to your climate and
without disease problems.

pam - gardengal

Old 22-01-2004, 02:03 AM
MikeSt

In article ,
"Jim Lewis" wrote:

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote in message
"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I

planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone

leaving only the
top
center with any leaves.

snip

As a guess, I would suggest that the hawthorns may be infected

with fire
blight. I thought about planting a hawthorn in my yard until I

found that
fire blight was a big problem.

snip

Probably not. Indian hawthorns aren't hawthorns. (The curse of
the common name strikes again!) They are a warm-weather plant
(they do OK in zone 8, but I'd doubt their health in zone 7).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

I would say probably not because the symptoms described do not match
fire blight. Indian hawthorns may not be hawthorns, but they are
related, and they are vulnerable to fire blight.
Old 22-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Jim Lewis

I would say probably not because the symptoms described do not
match
fire blight. Indian hawthorns may not be hawthorns, but they

are
related, and they are vulnerable to fire blight.

Related, as in Rosaceae? OK, but that's a pretty big group, I
can't find any indication that they are placed anywhere near
Crataegus, so the relationship seems pretty distant.

And I've only seen leaf spot on Raphiolepis (or Rhaphiolepis).
Dirr mentions leaf spot, but NOT fire blight.

(?)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Where the
Indian "hawthorn" is just barely hardy.

Old 22-01-2004, 03:12 AM
B & J

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote in message
"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I

planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone

leaving only the
top
center with any leaves.

snip

As a guess, I would suggest that the hawthorns may be infected

with fire
blight. I thought about planting a hawthorn in my yard until I

found that
fire blight was a big problem.

snip

Probably not. Indian hawthorns aren't hawthorns. (The curse of
the common name strikes again!) They are a warm-weather plant
(they do OK in zone 8, but I'd doubt their health in zone 7).

Jim Lewis - -

If you checked the site I listed, Jim, it stated an Indian Hawthorn is
susceptible to fire blight, which was why I made the suggestion. I checked
before purchasing a hawthorn and found they were susceptible. I'm sure Pam
has a far better answer than mine as to cause of the problem.

John