Old 22-01-2004, 02:03 AM
MikeSt

Default Indian Hawthorn Problem/Disease

In article ,
"Jim Lewis" wrote:

"B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote in message
"Berob" wrote in message
.com...
I have seven Eleanor Tabor (pink) Indian Hawthorns that I

planted a little
over a year ago. All the outer, lower foliage is gone

leaving only the
top
center with any leaves.

snip

As a guess, I would suggest that the hawthorns may be infected

with fire
blight. I thought about planting a hawthorn in my yard until I

found that
fire blight was a big problem.

snip

Probably not. Indian hawthorns aren't hawthorns. (The curse of
the common name strikes again!) They are a warm-weather plant
(they do OK in zone 8, but I'd doubt their health in zone 7).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

I would say probably not because the symptoms described do not match
fire blight. Indian hawthorns may not be hawthorns, but they are
related, and they are vulnerable to fire blight.