Old 22-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Desmodium

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
I have managed to germinate some Desmodium seeds, the plant was in a
garden of a very keen gardener and I kept the flowers until they turned
into proper seed cases and then left them on a window sill to eventually
dry and then split open.

Very strange seeds, they are in a seed case like a leguminous plant but
when the seed case splits they look like the seeds of a dandelion!
Anemophilis?

What should I now do with them? Heat. Cold, moderate cold?

Desmodium gyrans?

I grew them a couple of times a long while back. I treated them
just like any half hardy annual grown as a pot plant to keep on a
windowsill. I don't know what their ideal conditions are, but they
were happy being treated like that. I do know that they like a
little more heat and light than we get in the UK, so a south facing
windowsill or cold greenhouse is probably necessary. They don't
mind temperature variations and moderate drought, but probably
dislike waterlogging.

Whether it was more luck than judgement, I leave to your judgement :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.