Old 22-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Desmodium

I have managed to germinate some Desmodium seeds, the plant was in a
garden of a very keen gardener and I kept the flowers until they turned
into proper seed cases and then left them on a window sill to eventually
dry and then split open.

Very strange seeds, they are in a seed case like a leguminous plant but
when the seed case splits they look like the seeds of a dandelion!
Anemophilis?

What should I now do with them? Heat. Cold, moderate cold?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Steph

I was intrigued to find out what Desmodium looked like, so I did a search
and came up with this link that deals with the germination
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html

Hope this helps

Steph Power

Old 22-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
I have managed to germinate some Desmodium seeds, the plant was in a
garden of a very keen gardener and I kept the flowers until they turned
into proper seed cases and then left them on a window sill to eventually
dry and then split open.

Very strange seeds, they are in a seed case like a leguminous plant but
when the seed case splits they look like the seeds of a dandelion!
Anemophilis?

What should I now do with them? Heat. Cold, moderate cold?

Desmodium gyrans?

I grew them a couple of times a long while back. I treated them
just like any half hardy annual grown as a pot plant to keep on a
windowsill. I don't know what their ideal conditions are, but they
were happy being treated like that. I do know that they like a
little more heat and light than we get in the UK, so a south facing
windowsill or cold greenhouse is probably necessary. They don't
mind temperature variations and moderate drought, but probably
dislike waterlogging.

Whether it was more luck than judgement, I leave to your judgement :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Philip

From the Link provided by Steph :

"Desmodium illinoense , Slow germinator - up to a year or more. Store
seeds in layers of moist sand in the shade. Check seeds regularly in
the spring, and sow them all as soon as radicles appear "

As a matter of interetst just what are Radicles ?

Thanks

Phil

Old 23-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Steph
writes
I was intrigued to find out what Desmodium looked like, so I did a search
and came up with this link that deals with the germination
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html

Hope this helps

Steph Power

Oh ah well no not really as it says slow germination and these have come
up within 10 days of sowing on a normal sowing compost!

I KNOW they were the seeds as I left them fairly intact with all the
fluffy bits together and so on and it's fresh compost.

Now I'll have to wait and see if something else has sprouted!!

Janet

Thank you for helping though ............