Old 23-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default Cardinals flying into my windows??!!

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:48:14 -0600, BRW wrote:

Female cardinals have a tendency to sit in a tree right outside one
of my windows and to gently fly into the window - repeatedly often
until I put my hand by the window - which scares them off.

As another poster said, they are probably seeing their reflections and
defending their territory. Females are not as territorial as males. A
male cardinal kept attacking the mirror on a friend's pickup and over
one breeding season, managed to peck every bit of the silvering off of
the mirror.

Since there is a possibility they will injure themselves, hang a hawk
or owl silhouette outside the window. Or get one of those blow up
owls.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor