Old 23-01-2004, 05:04 PM
BRW

Default Cardinals flying into my windows??!!

Female cardinals have a tendency to sit in a tree right outside one
of my windows and to gently fly into the window - repeatedly often
until I put my hand by the window - which scares them off.

I've got several bird feeders out on my property and am not annoyed by
these characters at all, but am very curious.

Does anyone have a good explanation for why they're doing this?

Old 23-01-2004, 05:07 PM
cat daddy

"BRW" wrote in message

Female cardinals have a tendency to sit in a tree right outside one
of my windows and to gently fly into the window - repeatedly often
until I put my hand by the window - which scares them off.

I've got several bird feeders out on my property and am not annoyed by
these characters at all, but am very curious.

Does anyone have a good explanation for why they're doing this?

They may be seeing their reflection in the glass and trying to run off
the "intruder". Something to dull the reflection (like dulling spray) or
hanging something in front of the glass might help.

Old 23-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:48:14 -0600, BRW wrote:

Female cardinals have a tendency to sit in a tree right outside one
of my windows and to gently fly into the window - repeatedly often
until I put my hand by the window - which scares them off.

As another poster said, they are probably seeing their reflections and
defending their territory. Females are not as territorial as males. A
male cardinal kept attacking the mirror on a friend's pickup and over
one breeding season, managed to peck every bit of the silvering off of
the mirror.

Since there is a possibility they will injure themselves, hang a hawk
or owl silhouette outside the window. Or get one of those blow up
owls.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 24-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Michelle

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:20:10 GMT, Elliot Richmond
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:48:14 -0600, BRW wrote:

Female cardinals have a tendency to sit in a tree right outside one
of my windows and to gently fly into the window - repeatedly often
until I put my hand by the window - which scares them off.

As another poster said, they are probably seeing their reflections and
defending their territory. Females are not as territorial as males. A
male cardinal kept attacking the mirror on a friend's pickup and over
one breeding season, managed to peck every bit of the silvering off of
the mirror.

Since there is a possibility they will injure themselves, hang a hawk
or owl silhouette outside the window. Or get one of those blow up
owls.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

The above advice also worked oor me I've had this hapen on two
seprate ocations and hanging the semblance of a predatory bird helped
they did not fly into the window any more . You could alos

decorate the window by frosting or hanging some of those pretty
window decorations like those clear stickers with designs so the
window is not so reflective they can not see glass very well either
and I had that problem with some birds at an apartment where my lessor
told me to take the owl down I wasnt' allowed to hang any thing out
side so I tried that trick and it worked made the window nice as well
good luck I love birds and it would be a shame if one of them hurt
them selves a cat a friend of mine had a cat that watched out a
window and the nut hatches would attack him through the glass and one
of them actually broke a wing don't wory though she took it to a
wild life refuge where they were able to patch him up and she
helped to feed his mate. so she had to keep the cat out of the
window by putting too many nick nacks for the cat to get confertable
they had a nest there though so it may have been a slightly different
story.

Michelle
Old 25-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Kathleen

[...]
:
: Michelle

My previous home had the "mirrored" windows and the birds were
constantly a problem. Occasionally they would leave a feather on the
window from flying at it so hard, and once in a great while one would
knock itself out and lay on the ground for a few seconds before
reviving. We bought several different fake snakes and hung them on
the side of the house next to the window. It works for a while but
then you have to move it around every so often.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Two Acre Wood (Snow Cardinals) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 5 30-03-2008 10:33 AM
Two Acre Wood (Cardinals and Bluebirds, Love is in the air) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 6 15-02-2007 09:17 AM
cardinals Sallyrat&Sweetie Gardening 7 17-07-2005 10:07 PM
how many cardinals for 15 planted aqua? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Morning Glories - Wedding Bells X Flying Saucers! david Gardening 1 31-03-2003 03:32 AM