Old 23-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Ted Byers

Default Cymbidiums in the ground

"bk" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a couple of cymbidium orchids purchased at HD.
The plants are currently finishing their blooms and seem
very healhly. I'm considering planting them in the ground
in a shading place adjacent to the shade house.

Anyone have experience with them in the ground?
What type of media and/or conditions?

I've not tried cymbidiums, but around here (southern Ontario, Canada)
Cypripedium reginae and Bletilla striata are winter hardy ground dwellers.
I tried three of each, and within a few months, damned tree rats ate every
one of them, not to mention a large number of lilies. That was an expensive
lesson on the necessity of snap traps. I don't know if cymbidiums are
winter hardy where you are, but if you have a significant amount of wild
life, you will probably have to take steps to keep the wildlife away, or not
put them outside or write them off.

Good luck, whatever you try.

Cheers,

Ted