Old 23-01-2004, 07:02 PM
bk

Default Cymbidiums in the ground

I have a couple of cymbidium orchids purchased at HD.
The plants are currently finishing their blooms and seem
very healhly. I'm considering planting them in the ground
in a shading place adjacent to the shade house.

Anyone have experience with them in the ground?
What type of media and/or conditions?

Old 23-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Ted Byers

"bk" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a couple of cymbidium orchids purchased at HD.
The plants are currently finishing their blooms and seem
very healhly. I'm considering planting them in the ground
in a shading place adjacent to the shade house.

Anyone have experience with them in the ground?
What type of media and/or conditions?

I've not tried cymbidiums, but around here (southern Ontario, Canada)
Cypripedium reginae and Bletilla striata are winter hardy ground dwellers.
I tried three of each, and within a few months, damned tree rats ate every
one of them, not to mention a large number of lilies. That was an expensive
lesson on the necessity of snap traps. I don't know if cymbidiums are
winter hardy where you are, but if you have a significant amount of wild
life, you will probably have to take steps to keep the wildlife away, or not
put them outside or write them off.

Good luck, whatever you try.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 23-01-2004, 10:16 PM
profpam

Hi, BK,

Yes, I have a few in the ground. Unfortunately, they do not do as well
as those placed in bark/charcoal/perlite and potted. They, however,
will survive in soil when located beneath the roof and protection from
frost. Also, if you live in an area in which temperatures fall below
the 40 degree mark, you need to provide some additional protection by
covering the plants with sheets. Have grown cymbidiums for more than 25
years . . .

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

------------------------------

Old 24-01-2004, 02:42 AM
bk

Were in S FL so below forty is only a couple times a year and it's short
lived as well.
We see rats in the utility wires around the yard, but haven't had issues
with them in the shade house. They don't seem to be attracted to my orchids
(vandas, catlea and some phals).
Do you suggest mixing lots of bark/prelite in soil for them?

bk wrote:

I have a couple of cymbidium orchids purchased at HD.
The plants are currently finishing their blooms and seem
very healhly. I'm considering planting them in the ground
in a shading place adjacent to the shade house.

Anyone have experience with them in the ground?
What type of media and/or conditions?

Sea water on cymbidiums? Damage Control Orchids 27 03-12-2004 10:04 PM
How to plant cymbidiums? Dicky Orchids 1 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Help for a Novice! Repotting Cymbidiums Fred Le Blanc Orchids 2 23-04-2003 12:44 AM
Advice please on repotting cymbidiums Chris Ridge Orchids 8 01-04-2003 12:20 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM