Old 24-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Why won't the buds on my branch open....?

In a message dated 1/23/2004 3:44:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
My chinese elm is in pretty good health though still in training.
But...there is one branch on my tree that hasn't, and doesn't look like
opening its buds. Buds on all other branches have opened, and I have pruned
the new growth back to one - two or three sets of leaves (once the new
growth had reached about 6-8 sets), depending on the location of the
branches.
Tony:

If the tree was exposed to extremely low temperatures during the winter, it
is quite possible that this branch died back. Another possibility is the tree
incurred root zone damage during the winter.

Prick the bark to see if there is live tissue. If not, cut it away and
adjust the branches as necessary to correct the omission.

Regardless as to what the reason may be, branches one Elms will frequently
die, even under the best care and ideal growing conditions.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++