Old 23-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] Why won't the buds on my branch open....?

Hi Tony,

Hard to say what the problem is from here, but it sounds like the branch has been hurt some way. Perhaps die back during the winter, or damage while wiring (if you've done that). About the only thing I can think of is for you to scratch the bark on the
branch and see if the cambium is green under it. I'd start as far out on the branch as you can and work my way toward the trunk. On my elms, when a branch dies like this I can usually see a difference in the dead bark and the healthy bark, but sometimes
it is difficult to tell. At least this way you'll know if you should still be hoping for the buds to break.
Just my .02.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Tony from Oz, wrote:

Hi,

Location: Australia
Season: Midsummer

My chinese elm is in pretty good health though still in training.
But...there is one branch on my tree that hasn't, and doesn't look like
opening its buds. Buds on all other branches have opened, and I have pruned
the new growth back to one - two or three sets of leaves (once the new
growth had reached about 6-8 sets), depending on the location of the
branches.

The branches are about 3-4 millimetres in diameter, so it's not an old tree.

I have read the articles on the 'Evergreen Gardenworks' website to refresh
my memory on pruning and the basics of hormone pathways and can't pinpoint a
physiological reason why the buds won't break......

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tony Charles

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Denise Hurd

Tony

SNIP
About the only thing I can think of is for you to scratch the bark on the
branch and see if the cambium is green under it. I'd start as far out on
the branch as you can and work my way toward the trunk.
------------
and if it's green maybe sunlight it the issue - try rotating the pot so that
branch is in the light where your other growth as been occuring.

--
Denise Hurd a.k.a. the Bride
Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
LC buds won't open - what can I do? Sarah Orchids 3 26-04-2004 12:03 AM
Why won't the buds on my branch open....? Tony Charles Bonsai 0 23-01-2004 12:12 PM
Multiple buds on 1 branch, is that "bad?" Emil Roses 7 28-06-2003 03:56 AM