Old 25-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Stormin Mormon

Default carbon monoxide affinity

When I was in first aid class, they said it was about 200 times stronger
affinity than oxygen.

Sometimes they use "hyerbaric" oxygen chambers to treat monoxide poisoning.
High pressure tanks, where the patient is in higher pressure. Like they do
for divers who have "the bends".

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
At 800 ppm, for instance, the symptoms will start in
45 minutes and you'll be dead after 3 hours. At 1600
pps it starts in 20 minutes and you're dead 40 minutes
after that. At 6400 the pain starts in 2 minutes and
you fall down go boom die in 10-15.

This is why I've got CO monitors - plural - in my
house. This stuff is NOTHING to fool around with.

And, according to what I've heard, a nasty little add-on is that one's
hemogloben has a greater affinity for CO than it does for O2. Net result
is
that once the stuff's bonded to enough hemogloben even if you get out to
fresh
air or somebody drags you out you're still going to die because the O2 from
the
fresh air can't get to the hemogloben.
--
PeteCresswell