Old 25-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Stormin Mormon

Default carbon monoxide affinity

When I was in first aid class, they said it was about 200 times stronger
affinity than oxygen.

Sometimes they use "hyerbaric" oxygen chambers to treat monoxide poisoning.
High pressure tanks, where the patient is in higher pressure. Like they do
for divers who have "the bends".

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
At 800 ppm, for instance, the symptoms will start in
45 minutes and you'll be dead after 3 hours. At 1600
pps it starts in 20 minutes and you're dead 40 minutes
after that. At 6400 the pain starts in 2 minutes and
you fall down go boom die in 10-15.

This is why I've got CO monitors - plural - in my
house. This stuff is NOTHING to fool around with.

And, according to what I've heard, a nasty little add-on is that one's
hemogloben has a greater affinity for CO than it does for O2. Net result
is
that once the stuff's bonded to enough hemogloben even if you get out to
fresh
air or somebody drags you out you're still going to die because the O2 from
the
fresh air can't get to the hemogloben.
--
PeteCresswell

Old 25-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Neil

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:22:24 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

When I was in first aid class, they said it was about 200 times stronger
affinity than oxygen.

Sometimes they use "hyerbaric" oxygen chambers to treat monoxide poisoning.
High pressure tanks, where the patient is in higher pressure. Like they do
for divers who have "the bends".

Net result is that once the stuff's bonded to enough hemogloben even if you get out to
fresh air or somebody drags you out you're still going to die because the O2 from
the fresh air can't get to the hemogloben.
--
PeteCresswell

This is an equilibrium not an irreversable reaction. So yes
haemoglobin does have a higher affinity for CO than O2. BUT once you
are in fresh air there is no CO in the air for practical purposes so
you start to lose CO from your blood immediately.

This leads to the odd situation that if you call a hyperbaric unit and
tell them the CO level in a victims blood they ask how long to reach
them and the level. If you are close they will take someone with a
lower level than if you live further away. Why?because they know that
in the time taken to make the journey the level will fall by a
predictable amount.

Treatment with oxygen at the scene helps but the first big step is
get them into fresh air, I have seen the plots of CO levels , it does
work.

Old 26-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Not Me

"Neil"

| This is an equilibrium not an irreversable reaction. So yes
| haemoglobin does have a higher affinity for CO than O2. BUT once you
| are in fresh air there is no CO in the air for practical purposes so
| you start to lose CO from your blood immediately.
|
| This leads to the odd situation that if you call a hyperbaric unit and
| tell them the CO level in a victims blood they ask how long to reach
| them and the level. If you are close they will take someone with a
| lower level than if you live further away. Why?because they know that
| in the time taken to make the journey the level will fall by a
| predictable amount.
|
| Treatment with oxygen at the scene helps but the first big step is
| get them into fresh air, I have seen the plots of CO levels , it does
| work.

Not sure where I found it but according to my memory CO is quick to enter
and very slow to off gas from the blood.

Old 26-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Not Me

"Neil"

Old 26-01-2004, 06:18 PM
charles krin

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:19:19 -0500, "Not Me" wrote:

"Neil"

| This is an equilibrium not an irreversable reaction. So yes
| haemoglobin does have a higher affinity for CO than O2. BUT once you
| are in fresh air there is no CO in the air for practical purposes so
| you start to lose CO from your blood immediately.
|
| This leads to the odd situation that if you call a hyperbaric unit and
| tell them the CO level in a victims blood they ask how long to reach
| them and the level. If you are close they will take someone with a
| lower level than if you live further away. Why?because they know that
| in the time taken to make the journey the level will fall by a
| predictable amount.
|
| Treatment with oxygen at the scene helps but the first big step is
| get them into fresh air, I have seen the plots of CO levels , it does
| work.

Not sure where I found it but according to my memory CO is quick to enter
and very slow to off gas from the blood.

and that fits with the 15-18 hour half life of CO in the blood...

ck
--
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)

Old 30-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Stormin Mormon

The advantage with the hyperbaric chamber is that some oxy dissolves in the
water in the person's blood. And that helps oxygenate the cells.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Neil"

Old 30-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Stormin Mormon

The advantage with the hyperbaric chamber is that some oxy dissolves in the
water in the person's blood. And that helps oxygenate the cells.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
www.lds.org