Old 25-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default smashing up a concrete path

The message
In article ,
John Wakefield wrote:
What tool should I use to do this? Sledge hammer or some sort of
power tool.

It depends. How thick is it, and how solid is the concrete it is
made of?

You don't want a sledgehammer, but a pickaxe, anyway. If you are
buying one, I recommend a grub-axe (pick-mattock, whatever), which
has a pick on one side and a 4" broad blade the other (at right
angles to the handle). It is very useful for grubbing up stumps,
tree roots and general heavy work - and may save you from breaking
a spade!

Personally, I'd use a sledgehammer - and yes, I have some experience of
digging up wartime airfield concrete.

If it's anything like good concrete a pick will ruin your wrists. When -
and I mean when, not if - you get tired, I'd hire a big electric Kango
hammer. But get someone to show you how to use it, or it's nearly as
much hard worl as a slodgehimmel.

If you need a power tool, you need a serious one, and they are right
beggars to use. You are quite likely to find it cheaper and easier
to pay a local builder for a quick visit - a simple cash transaction.

Can't fault that advice, though.

Oh, Nick - - did you ever send me that SAE for - what was it? - jalapino
seeds? I had a nudge from jane, and found her letter amongst my empty
Christmas envelopes kept for stamps for the Lifeboat......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/