Old 26-01-2004, 01:04 AM
madgardener

Default Hey another person from TN mad gardener

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:19:24 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

Hi , I'm from TN like madgardener too Not living there now
unfortunatly I miss it though.

Glad to hear another gardener is from Tennessee. How does living in
Philly compare in climate? You have to realize that I grew up in the
suburbs of Nashville most of my life living just a few blocks from the
Cumberland River. It was a zone 6 a then before they had zones
defined, and being a new subdivisional area east of downtown
Nashville, I had the conveniences of city life but with a taste of
rural close by. Less than half a mile behind the road my elementary
school was on, was a hill that had a road going thru it and a farm.
Somewhere there is a rather neat picture of an old truck with a tree
growing outa the engine g

Just civilized enough to have bus service but the service ended at 10
week nights and 6 p.m. on Saturdays and NO service on Sundays. And
that was when service stations were closed on Sundays, as well as 99%
of the businesses. I remember how I felt when I moved to the surburbs
of Denver in 1978 and discovered the RTD ran every 10-15 minutes
guaranteed.........and had a radius of as far as BOULDER! When we
moved back to Nashville for good in 1983, I felt like I had gone back
in time. It took years for Nashville to catch up to what the West
already had. Talk about feeling like a bumpkin..........now when I
moved to Knoxville...........it was like looking at Nashville 20 years
ago......................................I still don't think Ktrans
has caught up to where Nashville was 10 years
ago..................sigh

I lived in east TN as well knoxville

I can't imagine what Knoxville was like years ago. I remember it a
little when I went to see Elton John during his Yellow brick road tour
back in 1975. What I vaguely remember is the streets were so steep we
were winded by the time we got to the auditorium where he was
performing g as for mountains.........I didn't notice mountains
when we went to the concert. We were thinking of other things at that
time GBSEG and in altered states of minds as well EG

I used to love to go to the mountains Have you driven the dogwood
trail I did that with my mom all the time

My best friend, Mary Emma's house is in Farragut, and part of the
extended Dogwood trail. It IS beautiful. I can only imagine what it
was like when the thousands of white dogwoods were in bloom up in the
Smokies before anthrachnose killed off so many. the hills are still
lit up with them in spring though. I can only imagine how many there
were though. wish I could have see that! (I just want to get an
orange, fragrant, flame azaela for my woods..............)

I live in Pa now waaaahhhh I hate it too many people live near
philidelphia yuck
City of Brotherly Love " my goot yeah right I got car jacked last
month no joke.

Another reason I don't live in Nashville now, despite that I probably
know where the safe older neighborhoods are, I doubt if I'd ever go
back there. It's changed into a nasty city now...........But one
really doesn't know..........be careful what you say you WON'T
do........

can't wait to move I think I'm going to SC or, FL more gardening
options

South Carolina would be nice. Not sure even I'd want to live in
Florida.........talk to Zhan about that. She's lived in Eastern
Florida just outside of Orlando, and now lives in the extreme western
panhandle area of Pensacola. I've heard about Central Florida from the
people moving up here about how it's changing. They're leaving Florida
and coming up here by the droves. SEttling in Morristown, Bean
Station, Greeneville, Rogersville, Sevierville, Kodiak, Cosby, Newport
an northern Knoxville moving towards the southern areas too, like
Maryville, Lenoir etc. The secret is out about Eastern Tennessee. If
I could get Squire to move somewhere, I'd even like to go further east
and do North Carolina, of extreme and go for good towards Oregon to
zone 8 on the western side of the Cascade. I'm past wondering if I'll
wind up here for good and have resigned myself to loving where I am
for now. And what happens later will happen or not. Just more and
more lights to the south of me in front of English
Mountain...........I do know I won't move to a colder climate. If I
move anywhere it will be to a warmer zone, period.

I sometimes kick myself for not wanting Squire to try the Alburquerque
job, but if it were meant to be we'd be there already. He wasn't
qualified enough to apply seriously. He's got a good job now with a
really good trucking company and since they're based outa Iowa, the
possibilities are endless for relocation one day g I'm still holding
out for Oregon....................

I'm twenty six and two kids who love gardening
They want strawberries this year.
well not much else to tell I have a mary statue in my garden and I
live in a small town home but this year I want to plant a fruit tree i
think a cherry if any one has a recommendation for a good sweet
black cherry tree i'k appreciate one that fruits well.

Strawberries are easy. You can plant those in a raised bed and get
quarts of fruit! All you need is sunshine and some decent dirt and a
flat of strawberry plants. Pinch off the flowers this year to
encourage the mother plants to make daughters and buy your kids some
farmer's market berries to satiate them until next year and you'll
have enough next year for them to eat outa the garden. Any fruit
trees take up to 7 years to produce fruit. There is a company, One
Green World, www.onegreenworld.com that has Cherry trees. Compact
Stella is self fertile and a true dwarf adn grows only 8' 10' and
begins to bear within a year or two after planting, almost black
tasty, firm, heart shaped fruit. they're about $21.95 each. Kristin
is Hardier than most sweet cherries. withstands temperatures of minus
25oF abundant, large, dark burgundy fruit with flavorful, firm and
juicy flesh. Lapins is a very large, dark purple, delicious and
self-fertile and one of the best cherries available. large, high
quality fruit. easy to grownad very productive variety for the home
gardener. They also have pie cherries which are tangy I think.

if you want your own catalog, call toll free 1-877-353-4028

my kids are seven and five
will before this is a novel I'll go thanks for the welcome
madgardener

you're more than welcome !
madgardener up on the soaked and muddy ridge, back in a cold fairy
holler, overlooking English Mountain, in Eastern Tennessee somewhere
just off I-40 on the way to North Cacklacky g